Copper header gaskets ?????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of Mr. Gasket copper header gaskets for my 97 5.7L Vortec. I am running Summit shorty's and I am happy with then. I first installed them with some paper gaskets. Well that didn't last long, so I got some Percy seal 4 Good aluminum gaskets. and they lasted a lot longer, but now they are leaking too. So the copper gaskets should fix the issue, but the copper gaskets have a presses raised lip. Question is does the raised side go to the head side or the header side ?? Thanks in advance for all help.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not entirely sure as my SCE gaskets had the raised lines on both sides, sorry. One quick note about copper gaskets in general though... Honestly if you haven't installed them yet, I wouldn't. Mine leaked within two months and that was with proper re-torquing every week. I got rid of them and went back to standard Fel-Pro gaskets and no problems since.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
We used to use them on the Pro Stock car I worked on, they were re useable, but I had to re tighten the bolts weekly. I finally talked the owner into a set of locking header bolts and it was better, but didn't last much, longer than a few weeks

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
nothing wrong with copper gaskets, I've had good luck with them. But I always use copper spray adhesive on them too. Its one more way to ensure a good seal.