Coolant type Green or Dex-Cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
Nope, still factory intake gaskets on both. (Knock on wood)

You may be right about Dex-Cool being better in closed systems. But like I said earlier, I think as long as you change it out fairly regularly it's fine in these trucks. I have no plans to stop using it.
I think the biggest problem people have is when they mix the two different types of antifreeze together. This is where the problems start. Dex-cool was developed mainly for engines with aluminum components

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always ran dexcool
But always wondered why my Lexus red and Honda’s blue coolant system never have issues and look perfect inside and would be a better alternative
Any thoughts

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dexcool is a glycol based coolant with OAT corrosion inhibitors. Organic Acid Technology. They were one of the first generations after the green stuff. Designed to be more environmentally friendly and better with aluminium parts. Most newer stuff is HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). My understanding is that this is an improvement over the original DexCool. Worth nothing is that DexCool has had several revisions. I remember it being terrible, but on the 2010 Colorado I just bought with what looks like original coolant - the dexcool did a great job. Also a sealed system, Dexcool doesn't do well with air mixed in.

There is a great write-up on a Camaro website but I don't have it on my phone. Long story short, there are better options for a 5 year coolant than Dexcool if you're starting from scratch. I put Zerex G-05 in my 2002 Chrysler POS because it's one of the approved coolants for that. It meets a bunch of modern manufactures specs, maybe worth a look. I keep that around for things with modern gaskets and run the green stuff in my old truck that has a steam leak on the rad somewhere because it's cheap. Maybe check bobistheoilguy or similar.

P.S. That Google link is stealing that info from ItStillRuns which is not always good site for information. Check the SDS.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I always ran dexcool
But always wondered why my Lexus red and Honda’s blue coolant system never have issues and look perfect inside and would be a better alternative
Any thoughts

Different design philosophies? More modern engineering? The original designs of our engines date back to the 50's and 60's. I wouldn't assume that a Toyota or Honda coolant would work any better in our vehicles considering that we don't have the closed systems and aluminum content that the Toyota and Honda probably have.

I have read about one coolant (could be Toyota Red) that's not too far away from Dex, but does have one ingredient change that Toyota didn't like, or something like that.

Personally, I'm not going to think too hard about coolants. If I hadn't had issues while running Dexcool in the truck, I'd still use it. Given that it's not a closed system, and still has a leaky intake manifold gasket (it leaks to the outside, so my oil is fine), I'll run an easy to find 5 year coolant that I can buy on sale. In the Saturn, I bought Prestone's Dexcool, as I can see no problems with that cooling system. It's a super small system.... only 7 quarts, so the cost is nil. I changed it when I changed, what was probably the original thermostat (19 years old).

I don't specifically blame Dexcool for the cooling system problems in my truck, but I think it could have been a contributing factor.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
there seems to be some confusion on the matter...
You must be registered for see images attach

That's a Google answer that Google scrapes from the web.... those answers often don't even address the question. It looks like the source is itstillruns, which is highly unreliable. The info there is either over simplified, or wrong.

Last edited: