Coolant type Green or Dex-Cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to install the newly rebuilt call L29 motor in the suburban.
What color should I use since I’m starting brand new radiator water pump and block, everything‘s new green or Dex-cool.
Currently running Dex-cool with no issues that I know of.

And why is your suggestion the best.

Thanks

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would run probably run something besides Dexcool.... another long life coolant, not the conventional green. Dexcool really needs a sealed system, not an overflow bottle at atmospheric pressure like our engines use. Conventional green doesn't last as long, and is kind of hard to find. I bought some at Orielly the other day, and I think they only had the store brand. Non-auto parts places like Menard's or Meijer's don't have it.

I do have a Dexcool approved equivalent in my Saturn, so I'm not completely opposed to it like some people are. The Saturn has a sealed system, Though.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't realize Green was becoming obsolete but I guess it makes sense most vehicles don't use it anymore. I think DEX cool is probably ok but Green would be the better choice if you can get your hands on it and don't mind changing it out more often.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Most green coolants are not convention
Oreilley's carries Peak antifreeze that's green and cheap!

I didn't realize Peak still had a conventional green. Prestone does not.... their green is a long life (5year). Checking out Peak's website they now have a 10 year 300,000 mile coolant.

Mine tends to look like swamp water due to my leaking intake manifold and rust problem. Almost 300K miles Though :)

I've been buying Meijer's store brand long life coolant for my truck. I did run a Peak coolant a few years ago.

I don't think I'd go back to conventional on anything but my old Buick which has a copper/brass radiator..... the newer stuff causes solder bloom, I've read.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Getting ready to install the newly rebuilt call L29 motor in the suburban.
What color should I use since I’m starting brand new radiator water pump and block, everything‘s new green or Dex-cool.
Currently running Dex-cool with no issues that I know of.

And why is your suggestion the best.

Thanks
I would tend to agree with 454cid on this, I have not had great luck with dexcool. I didn't know that it was really designed more for sealed systems though. That makes sense, and I know our 06 Denali 6.0 uses it, and it has the sealed screw top cap on the bottle instead of a filler neck on the radiator like my 99 vortec does.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chiming in as one of the few Dex-Cool supporters/users...

I'm still running Dex-Cool in both of my '97s and it's never caused me any problems. Around 150K miles on each, both have been in the family since they were new. I think a lot of the issues people have with Dex are due to poor maintenance practices and general negligence. (Many times by a previous owner) As long as you change it every few years and fix any leaks that pop up it's fine in my experience. I did have issues with it in an Impala once, but it was the factory original coolant that was almost a decade old.