Coolant type Green or Dex-Cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Green antifreeze has a shelf life of 18 months. Doesn't matter if it is in an engine or in a jug. That is why the recommendation for the two year change cycle with a recommended flush. The silicates start to fall out of solution after the 18 months.

So you're saying the coolant that's been in my 69 Buick for the last 20+ years is probably no good??? :D

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DexCool was not designed for pressurized closed systems, but instead for the conventional systems in our trucks which are not a true closed system (see non-pressurized overflow tank). DexCool does not like to be run low and have a lot of air in the system which creates an acid. Then again, conventional green coolant will do the same thing but is more tolerant of being run while low on coolant before it creates acid.

GM recommends adding an extender to DexCool after two years IF the coolant is clean. I'm not aware of any coolant that doesn't recommend the same thing after two years, even the long life coolant.

In either case, changing out the coolant every couple years addresses any of the potential problems by any of the coolants on the market. I end up working on my trucks often enough and having to dump the coolant out so I just use SuperTech.

Between my four pickups and two vans I don't think any of the coolant in them is more than a year old.......