Converting to 2 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwyson

Reaction score
700R4 you say? This is s 6 lug truck?

I thought it was bad to run the front without the differential/axle? Can't remember why.

As far as the transfer case, you can remove it, but you'll have to swap a 2wd transmission or tear yours apart to swap a 2wd output shaft.

And driveshaft needs to get modified as well.
I wish I had 4wd:(

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote for "Why?" When you're all done you no longer have the value of a K2500. You now have the value of a butchered k2500. Good idear!! Eh?

Cisco

Reaction score
what are your plans after the 2wd conversion?... I'm curious because as mentioned, it's usually the other way around.... But to each their own and i look forward to seeing the build

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
converting from 2 to 4wd actually makes sense. This is just stupid.

I could see it if it were going to be a dedicated track truck., or a custom show truck, but not a daily driver just because its unused....not without extenuating circumstances like a front axle being blown already.

If I were doing it, I'd check Into swapping hubs from a 2wd GMT-800 as they wouldn't need the cv shaft spindles.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will he need a driveshaft that has a carrier bearing after converting to 2wd trans?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Will he need a driveshaft that has a carrier bearing after converting to 2wd trans?

He'll need a longer driveshaft for sure. Looking back in the thread I don't see where he's told us much about the truck.... short box? long box? regular cab? extended cab? GM changed driveshaft configurations depending on those factors, and also engine/transmission/t-case and so on. I'd just look to see what GM used in whatever 2wd configuration he ends up with....assuming GM put the engines/transmissions in exactly the same spot on the frame between 2wd and 4wd.