Converting to 2 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwyson

Reaction score
I have had my K2500 for 14 years. In that time I used 4 wheel twice so I'm getting rid of it all. I have already removed my front differential. I want to get rid of my transfer case now. Does anyone know what transmission and drive line combo I need? 700r4 in it now. New engine build (350 Vortec) coming soon.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
seeing that the front suspension designs are completely different between 2wd and 4wd you removing your front axle is kinda pointless. should have just left the front axle in and just not hit the button anymore, or sell it and buy a 2wd.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
700R4 you say? This is s 6 lug truck?

I thought it was bad to run the front without the differential/axle? Can't remember why.

As far as the transfer case, you can remove it, but you'll have to swap a 2wd transmission or tear yours apart to swap a 2wd output shaft.

And driveshaft needs to get modified as well.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You need to tear apart a CV axle and keep the stub that goes into your wheel bearing.

And yea, get a trans and driveshaft out of a 2WD truck of the same body style (rclb)

Otherwise, Im with the group that say's... WHY?? Its your truck and all, do what you want but there has to be a better reason other than you dont use it so get rid of it.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop front diff out, use stub of CV axle to go through hubs.

Drop your trans and transfer case out and swap for a 2wd trans

As for driveshaft get one from a 2wd with same bed and cab combo and it'll be all bolt in

mwyson

Reaction score
Yeah I already took the axles out and left the shafts in to hold the wheel bearings together. Thanks