Confused as to engine sensors and stuck removals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greatfurry1

Reaction score
Hi - new to this forum and to GMT 400s - vehicle is a 1994 C1500 std.cab, 4.3LV6, Auto, 214Kmiles

I recently picked up this old and well-used construction company truck - just for something interesting to work on....ran fair when I got it, but not great: lethargic, slow acceleration, felt like it would stall when taking your foot off the gas and it was shifting to idle, rough transmission shifting (especially first to second), and a Service Engine Soon light came and went.

I've been doing normal basic maintenance someone might do for a truck over 200K miles -
- new tires, new plugs, wires, cap/rotor/coil/TPS/Idle Air valve/EGR solenoid/MAP sensor, PCV, gas cap and radiator cap/ fuel pump relay/ oil change, new battery, clean and tighten engine grounds (fixed the Service Engine light issue), Seafoam the intake, fuel system, and through the oil, replaced the fuel injectors and the distributor...plus some other things I can't remember. The engine is not burning or losing oil - and the major liquids are new and quite clean (oil/transmission/coolant).

Runs nice now, starts instantly and accelerates great, drives nicely, but feels like it is missing a bit - have not yet checked the timing. My first Chevy truck (I've owned only Fords) - it is a fairly well-built truck IMO - but God almighty - I so wish Chevy hadn't located the distributor for this engine way in the back next to the firewall (most Ford distributors are in front!)

My questions -
1. According to most literature, this engine has two knock sensors, one in the rear under the distributor and one on one of the engine banks. OK, bought a new sensor and tried to change it while replacing the distributor (rear of the engine) but pulling the connector, find that it is completely different than the new part - and I have double and triple checked the correct part visually, which is supposed to have only a round, single wire connection. The currently installed part has a three pin receiver plug (seems very similar to the TPS connector) - completely different in that respect, but otherwise closely resembles the overall knock sensor in physical appearance. I've looked around quite a bit on the web and can find nothing to indicate why the sensor connection is so different....or for that matter, what sensor I could/should buy to replace the existing one. The second knock sensor on the engine block does have the single connector as it is supposed to, but it is rusted in place (more later)
2. I've had a similar problem with the coolant temperature sensor at the front of the engine block (which I targeted because the temp gauge was reading quite low in my opinion -never above 180 -200 degrees in mid July!) - when I removed the existing sensor (PIA!), it had two connection pins, one oriented horizontally and one vertically, while the replacement has two vertical pins. Huh? So, so far, haven't replaced it yet.
3. General issue - I live in central Massachusetts, so a fair amount of rust is around and it has had a very negative affect on the removal process for some parts and sensors. For example, I have been unable to replace the EGR, the oxygen sensor, and the second knock sensor - they are simply rusted in place and do not respond to multiple tapping and PBlaster or Liquid Wrench applications.
I have not 'used the bigger hammer' philosophy (just simply apply more and more muscle), especially to the EGR bolt, for fear of breaking off the bolt or sensor in question and creating a whole new and costly nightmare.

Any thoughts on the above are welcome and certainly appreciated.
Thank you.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont have any experience on the V6s, but I will just say that this is the only forum where technical advice seems to be accurate for the GMT400 and I'm sure you'll get some. On other forums, the stuff people say is sometimes plain wrong. That being said, I really only ever trust the factory manuals for my truck. A wealth of information can be found here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Greatfurry1

Reaction score
I dont have any experience on the V6s, but I will just say that this is the only forum where technical advice seems to be accurate for the GMT400 and I'm sure you'll get some. On other forums, the stuff people say is sometimes plain wrong. That being said, I really only ever trust the factory manuals for my truck. A wealth of information can be found here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/
Thank you so much - I have the Haynes repair manual for this truck - and I appreciate the links to the factory manuals. Again, grateful for your help.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. According to most literature, this engine has two knock sensors, one in the rear under the distributor and one on one of the engine banks. OK, bought a new sensor and tried to change it while replacing the distributor (rear of the engine) but pulling the connector, find that it is completely different than the new part - and I have double and triple checked the correct part visually, which is supposed to have only a round, single wire connection. The currently installed part has a three pin receiver plug
Are you sure you're looking at the right sensor? In this snip it shows the KS in the back of the head. You may be looking at the Oil Pressure switch/sensor which has a 3 pin connector?
You must be registered for see images attach

^^^X2 this snip above is from the 94 - Emissions and Electrical manual.

Greatfurry1

Reaction score
Are you sure you're looking at the right sensor? In this snip it shows the KS in the back of the head. You may be looking at the Oil Pressure switch/sensor which has a 3 pin connector?

^^^X2 this snip above is from the 94 - Emissions and Electrical manual.
Ah......excellent reply! You just might be right......so I guess I have to look a bit harder for the KS in the rear.....which I will do, though, I didn't see anything else back there that might be the KS, but I will look again. I have not looked to replace the oil pressure sensor - the dash oil gauge has been behaving normally IMO. THANK YOU!!

Greatfurry1

Reaction score
Ah......excellent reply! You just might be right......so I guess I have to look a bit harder for the KS in the rear.....which I will do, though, I didn't see anything else back there that might be the KS, but I will look again. I have not looked to replace the oil pressure sensor - the dash oil gauge has been behaving normally IMO. THANK YOU!!
In looking carefully at the graphic you included - I will look again but I am fairly certain there was no sensor on the rear on the block in the location shown (got a good look at that area when replacing the distributor!) - and the drawing of the sensor in the graphic you attached matches the replacement part - is it possible that I have a single KS engine?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah......excellent reply! You just might be right......so I guess I have to look a bit harder for the KS in the rear.....which I will do, though, I didn't see anything else back there that might be the KS, but I will look again. I have not looked to replace the oil pressure sensor - the dash oil gauge has been behaving normally IMO. THANK YOU!
No problem, here's the Oil Pressure Switch location...

Greatfurry1

Reaction score
No problem, here's the Oil Pressure Switch location...
Yup - that is it all right - the oil sensor it is! Thank you so much - but I do have a follow on question: the pipe that the sensor mounts to (shown in the drawing) screws into the block as shown - but the pipe I examined seemed a bit loose and I considered screwing it in a few more turns but hesitated out of caution.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pipe that the sensor mounts to (shown in the drawing) screws into the block as shown - but the pipe I examined seemed a bit loose and I considered screwing it in a few more turns but hesitated out of caution.
If it's loose it's probably leaking oil or will soon. I'd tighten it down.