Confirmed brake bleeding scan tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96 z72

Reaction score
This is complicated enough that we need a spreadsheet. If you're gonna post, give me model numbers of the scan tool as well as which system it works on.

What ABS systems came on our trucks? So far in this thread I've seen Schurkey mention "aluminum RWAL", EBC310, and EBC4. What other systems are there?

The Autel video above is pretty good evidence. I have it on my sheet as an "Autel MaxiCheck Pro". Anybody know which system he's bleeding?

Aluminum RWAL​
EBC310​
EBC4​
Snap-On Solus Pro 14.2​
Yes​
Snap-On Solus Pro 17.2​
Snap-On Solus Pro 8.2​
Snap-On MT/MTG2500 6.2​
No​
Autel MaxiCheck Pro​
I have been using the Topdon artidiag 900 lite . On my 96 k1500 it has gotten into the trans live data as well as active test for the trans. Currently cannot test the abs bleed function as it is all torn apart due to the usual 4l60 issues. From everything I have checked, this unit “should” do it. Been a great scan tool for my DIY garage

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This dongle works with Tech2Win and GDS2 and cheaper than the knock off mdi in an mdi2 housing. Just need a windows laptop and GM Software.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a GM Tech II that bleeds ABS brakes, I was also able to diagnosis the pass lock module on 98/99 trucks. This is the holy grail of scanners if you own a 1996-2013 GM truck. The Tech II is the master diagnostic tool that all GM dealerships use. My Tech II is a $300 china clone but is identical to the $2k version. I also use it on my 2005 HUMMER H2 SUT.
How does your clone work with obd1? Will it work on 95 K series ABS operation? And earlier?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a MT2500 with a dedicated ABS cart. I’ll check to see if it can do the older RWAL systems.
Be sure and let me know what software version. From what I'm understanding the software in the Snap-On scan tools matters more than the tool.

This dongle works with Tech2Win and GDS2 and cheaper than the knock off mdi in an mdi2 housing. Just need a windows laptop and GM Software.
Does it bleed the ABS? If so, which ABS system?

I added the GM Tech2, but I didn't specify factory GM or clones. Do we need to break that down?

I also added the TopDon ArtiDiag 900 Lite with a "No". If you can get it to work, give us an update and I'll correct it on the sheet.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The updated sheet is below. I will not assume anything is a "Yes" until I hear that it works. Anybody have information on the EBC4 or Aluminum RWAL compatibilities?

Brake Bleeding Tool Matrix​
Iron RWAL​
Aluminum RWAL​
EBC4 (92-94)​
EBC310 (‘95-on)​
GM Tech2​
No tool req’d​
Yes​
Snap-On 14.2 Software​
Yes
Snap-On 17.2 Software​
Snap-On 8.2 Software​
No
Snap-On 6.2 Software​
No
Autel MaxiCheck Pro​
No
TopDon Artidiag 900 Lite​
No​

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will have to check more it would not allow me to try on my 99 suburban because of an EVO steering code. Will do more testing when I get time.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked my dad about this since he was working for a dealer from ‘92-‘98. They used a Tech 2 and occasionally a Tech 1. He said he didn’t do a lot of ABS work because:

1) they were still new at the time and didn’t have a lot of issues with the ABS system, and there’s always a chance that if there was an issue he might not have seen it.

2) if he had to replace any brake lines or do any brake work, he was very good about making sure the system didn’t go dry (reservoir or ABS).

He said he wished he was more help on this topic because he’s familiar with the problem from working with me.