Compass Temp Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, new sensors are spensive!!! :p but if ya cant find any, a new one wont be too terribly bad to buy.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
i installed my compass/temp mirror last weekend, and wanted to share my wire choice with you guys.

i can't stand a rattle... the thoughts of 4 wires behind the A-pillar trim made me cautious. The wiring i went with was the trailer wiring.. like for a boat or utility trailer. This way i'd have a flat ribbon-like set of wires going down the A Pillar and they lay flat under the head liner (or will since i don't have my headliner done yet). I used white and brown for power and ground... green and yellow for the temp sensor.

with the 4 wires in a ribbon formation, i split them under the dash into pairs, the white/brown stop at the fusebox area, while the green and yellow are still side-by-side through the firewall out to the temp sensor. to me the look is cleaner and no rattles from independently-ran wires. It's also easier to hide them in the looms as a pair.

that's my two cents...

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
i installed my compass/temp mirror last weekend, and wanted to share my wire choice with you guys.

i can't stand a rattle... the thoughts of 4 wires behind the A-pillar trim made me cautious. The wiring i went with was the trailer wiring.. like for a boat or utility trailer. This way i'd have a flat ribbon-like set of wires going down the A Pillar and they lay flat under the head liner (or will since i don't have my headliner done yet). I used white and brown for power and ground... green and yellow for the temp sensor.

with the 4 wires in a ribbon formation, i split them under the dash into pairs, the white/brown stop at the fusebox area, while the green and yellow are still side-by-side through the firewall out to the temp sensor. to me the look is cleaner and no rattles from independently-ran wires. It's also easier to hide them in the looms as a pair.

that's my two cents...

Very nice earned yourself some rep power

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
Very nice earned yourself some rep power

thanks, the other option would be to tape all four wires every few inches to avoid a rattle..hehe the trailer wire was actually CHEAPER than buy 4 rolls of different colored wires..and faster to run. a 25ft roll was like $12 or so at Auto Zone. I just wrote down on paper the colors of the wires for the mirror and sensor, then "mapped" my trailer wires on paper. Since white and brown are side-by-side i used those for power/ground so that two wires stopped inside the cab, and the other pair would go out front.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
That is an awesome Idea. I will probably get my mirror in now since that will make it a whole lot easier..

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
i wish i had thought of that luckily i have a friend who works at Napa i got 75 feet of wire for 14 bucks :) mine is a display from a blazer but unfortunatley i think i messed up somewhere because it reads -34 degrees farenheit and it wont calibrate:( think i messed up a wire somewhere

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Sounds like either your sensor is shorted or the sensor wire is contacting a ground. It reads resistance through the sensor to determine temp.

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
borahshadow got me another sensor i got for a buddy but im going to attach it and see if i get the right readings or not if i still get the weird readings ill check the wire :/ which is gonna suck to trace that beast lol