Combine: 1. Suburban: 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
800's have worse rust issues than 400's. My 05 Yukon is rusty af, runs and drives great, heater and heated seats are awesome, but the rockers are gone.
Glad the wife is only minimally injured.
I agree. If I go 800 it would have to be rust free and I would have to keep it oiled. I loved my 01 k1500 - but it dissolved.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote for the K2500. At least there's plenty of them out there to choose from. I wanted a C2500 Suburban and they're far less common, compounded further by my desire to really only look at 1992-1994's with the 7.4. I found some really beat ones, and a couple that looked OK but had the 5.7.

GMT800's might seem like a minor upgrade but to me the extra complexity of repair isn't worth it. That's coming from someone with two Silverado SS's in the driveway. I'm always working on these trucks and some of the designs on this stuff just straight piss a guy off to work on. They're definitely engineered more throwaway stuff into them, IMO.

Richard
That is a great way to phrase the transition from the GMT-400 to the 800. I like to say the 400 was the transition to “comfy” but I didn’t have a good phrase for the 800. I think you nailed it. “Transition to throwaway“.

Keep an eye out for me down there in Texas.

Last edited:

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I now have a 2001 K2500 suburban. 180K, 6.0, 4L80E.
Runs great, Rust free. Does not use any oil. It had a few things wrong when i bought it, but i have spent under $300 fixing it all. Parts are available anyplace.
The GMT800 is a small upgrade over a GMT400. Little secret, Here in the PNW rust is really a non issue. People compline about how the stuff they put on the roads causes all the rusted cars/truck. Not true really. There are FAR more rust free vehicles around here then rusty.
If you have a good running rust free, good interior GMT400, keep it. If you want/need a newer suburban, a GMT800 is a small

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. The PNW and north California is the “Honey Hole” for GMT 400’s. I think it’s a combination of the weather and fuel prices. My k2500 Silverado is California and my K2500 GMC is Oregon. (The Yak was Folsom CA)

Btw, the PNW is beautiful, if it wasn’t for my love of the great lakes and a house on the water, I would be out there. When I picked up the GMC in ‘16, the Pineapple Express jammed under an arctic front and all hell broke loose. I was stranded for a week in Pacific City. I wish I would have stayed for 3 more. It was beautiful !!!

Please keep an eye out for me.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll also vote in favor of a GMT400 2500. After that, I'd consider any GMT800 with a 4L80.

All the light duty GMT900s either need a new $9000 transmission or have already bit that bullet. How well do you trust a rebuild? The 6L80s are more reliable, but they aren't 4L80 reliable.
Thanks. I knew something was up. They are out there for less than $10k with less than 200k miles, so something “ain’t“ right.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, I'm glad the wife is ok. That is the absolute most important part. The truck can be replaced, people can't.

Second, I also vote K2500 Burb. They ride great for a 3/4 ton, bigger better brakes, you have some parts readily available with your KIA Burb.
Thanks and you’re right, they are only plastic and steel.
And now that the wife is on the mend, I can go car shopping without the normal guilt - she loved the suburban too.

Let me know if you see something in your neck of the woods.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This is a nice one too. Anahuac is east of Baytown, about halfway between it and Beaumont. Southeast Texas, between Houston and Louisiana.
San Antonio is about 3-4 hours west of Houston.