Cluster guage insert seperating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slazix54

Reaction score
My 97 sierras cluster insert with the guages on it has started to seperate, its causing the plastic to push against the needles and preventing the needles from moving.

My plan is to remove the needles, remove the insert and clean up both pieces before super gluing it flat again, if anyone has run into this any info is much appreciated.

Also since these motors aren't the stepper variety what's the best way to realign?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 97 sierras cluster insert with the guages on it has started to seperate, its causing the plastic to push against the needles and preventing the needles from moving.

My plan is to remove the needles, remove the insert and clean up both pieces before super gluing it flat again, if anyone has run into this any info is much appreciated.

Also since these motors aren't the stepper variety what's the best way to realign?
Be careful with superglue on stuff like that. Superglue or CA glue doesn’t play nice with transparent or semi transparent plastics. It can cause them to haze. If you’ve got the funds, pick up a cheap used cluster and keep it for parts as needed. The first part - the gauge panel.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure your plan is going to work. From what I can tell, the gauge face is very thin plastic with an adhesive backing, which is stuck to a clear piece of plastic. Yours is the first I've heard of where it's coming apart. Pretty sure you'll end up wrecking the gauge face trying to get it the rest of the way off the clear plastic backing, and even if you didn't, cleaning the remaining adhesive will not be easy.

I agree with fancyTBI, your best bet is probably just pick up a used cluster. It's easy to swap over your odometer to keep the mileage correct.

Be sure to get a cluster from a truck similar to yours: same fuel type (gas/diesel) and same number of cylinders (v6/v8)

Here's a couple pics showing some of the "insides" to help illustrate what I'm saying.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

slazix54

Reaction score
Be careful with superglue on stuff like that. Superglue or CA glue doesn’t play nice with transparent or semi transparent plastics. It can cause them to haze. If you’ve got the funds, pick up a cheap used cluster and keep it for parts as needed. The first part - the gauge panel.
Yeah I'm gonna pickup a new cluster soon I just don't have the funds at this time and needed a quick fix. Although all my guages are working great now, I proved your theory at the same time.

At least new clusters are only 70-80

Attachments

• PXL_20240208_174323217.jpg
    PXL_20240208_174323217.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 6

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If decide to remove needles, to photos notes of exact positions so you can return to same placements. There is no placement slot, woodruff key, shape indicator.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Though keep in mind that even if you don't move them, the air core motors can still shift on their own at any time due to being fairly free-floating electromagnetic motors, unlike the later servo actuators.