1995 k2500 guage cluster warning lights stuck on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
so i have a 1995 chevy k2500 extended cab longbed with the 5.7 tbi, I'm almost done nv4500 swapping the truck but I have an issue that was in my parts truck but has now begun in mine, the guage cluster warning lights are on CONSTANTLY if the battery is connected. Key is off and out of the column, what might cause this? I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch as I used the donor column (donor is a 1995 k1500 extended cab) PLEASE HELP, thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It does indeed sound like your ignition switch is in the "on" position, which you can confirm by checking other key-switched accessories like the radio and HVAC blower fan.

The 95-up electrical portion of the ignition switch is somewhat known for going bad like this.

Richard

Jeremy D

Reaction score
so... Been a little busy lately and finally got back to working on the rig, changed the steering column out for a different one I had, still the same issue, Figured I would see if it was the cluster... nope lights still on I disconnected all the sensors on the engine I had to change STILL no change. only thing I can think it would be is either a bad ground or SOMETHING wrong in the harness so next step is to replace all the grounds

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this cluster was in the previous truck and did the same thing? If not, it only started when you replaced parts in to truck #2. So transfer case, column. Is this the original cluster or new install, your not clear on that.
A problem on truck A, that same problem now appears on truck B. Self induced.
What did you touch, you need to step back review everything you did. How do you know the cluster isn't getting a ground feedback ? Easy to test pull the connector test for stray voltage on what should be ground circuits. Or with cluster hooked up back pin test connector ground.
And it's similar to when you turn the key on and cluster goes into warning light test before turning key to start?

Jeremy D

Reaction score
so, things that were swapped into truck #2 was the ecm, engine wiring, under dash wiring harness, steering column, guage cluster and a few things for the egr, the transfer came out of a 2000 sierra 2500 classic with an nv4500 and the trans is fron an 02 with a 6.0 as for the cluster i replaced it with the original automatic one and still had the same issue. same with the column, replaced with a spare i had, still no change. and yes it is like the key is always in the "run" position but ONLY the cluster works everything else is the way it should be. how would i go about testing what circuits have power that are not supposed to? get a schematic for a 95?

Jeremy D

Reaction score
so doing some experimenting today, pulling the "eng-1" fuse gets the lights to turn off when the key is off but still work when the key is on. What does that fuse control?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have the factory service manuals, you need to download them here, there free, search in forum. They contain all the wire diagrams , what the connectors look like. Where the grounds are and so fourth.
I know some people when doing a lot of or major swap overs often overlook small things, like grounds. Which can have a major headache. A circuit will look for the path of least resistance, just like water. And if that means back feeding through the ground for the instrument cluster ....
Your guessing now, you have use the manual to further troubleshoot. Use it like a map.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
alright, will do. I'm pretty much done with the truck until spring (working in the driveway in the GREAT state of Maine is no fun in -50 weather)