Chevrolet tailgate banner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Butyl is the stuff that is used on some older vehicles to seal & hold windshields in place. Comes in different widths & thicknesses, on a roll. Has paper on it so that it doesn't stick to itself. The stuff I've used is about 3/8" wide & 1/8" thick.
It never really gets hard, no matter what the temp. Stays soft & very sticky. Anything such as plastic emblems, logos, moldings, etc., can be held in place with this stuff. Things stuck on with butyl can be removed with fishing line. You wouldn't have to remove any of the glue that's on the banner right now.
It's cheap, too. To do your banner might cost ya $5-$10.
If you talk nice to the guys in the glass shop, they might give you some roll ends or pieces, enough to do what you need to.

I would not suggest Butyl to hold something like this on. It's more of a putty used to seal things, not hold them in place. My trailer windows are sealed around the frame with it, and yeah the stuff is sticky but it's not like the 3M tape.

I would clean the old black off (which is just a big sheet of double sided emblem tape) and use the 3M stuff like suggested. It's what the factory did, and what a bodyshop would do.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If that's what a body shop would do, then that's probably the way to go.
My past exp. with body men hasn't made me happy, so I try to avoid even entering those places! Lol!

Skylersa

Reaction score
I work for a body shop. Everyone here who is suggesting 3m double sided tape is right. However, if you want it to hold up and not fall off or sag there are a few things to do. First would be cleaning both the tailgate where you are placing the banner and the chevy banner. Get all of the old tape off. Second would be to use wax and grease remover then do a final wipe down with some denatured alcohol. then finally install tape onto the back of the banner then put it on the tailgate. Just like with paint, prep is the key.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I work for a body shop. Everyone here who is suggesting 3m double sided tape is right. However, if you want it to hold up and not fall off or sag there are a few things to do. First would be cleaning both the tailgate where you are placing the banner and the chevy banner. Get all of the old tape off. Second would be to use wax and grease remover then do a final wipe down with some denatured alcohol. then finally install tape onto the back of the banner then put it on the tailgate. Just like with paint, prep is the key.

Bingo! Repped!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Well I got the old backing stripped off. Used a heat gun on each small spot for 30 seconds or so and scraped it off. Took awhile but I got 'er. Now I just need to get some tape next time I'm in town (living 40 minutes from the auto parts store sucks).
I'm in a tossup though...paint the letters, or no. The banner isn't in great shape but I like how it will match my truck. Opinions?

You must be registered for see images attach

Some damage that happened to the banner when it was on the tailgate, before I got it. Almost looks like some idiot tried to pry it off or something.

Borrowed this sweet old-school black-and-decker heat gun from my grandfather that works great. Used it to thaw out my water pipes in the few -30 to -40 nights we've had lately, and it's great at stripping tailgate banners, too.

In progress:

Finished, more or less:

And yes, that's my kitchen...you guys saw nothing...