Chevrolet tailgate banner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Have a Chrome Chevrolet tailgate banner I want to install on my tailgate. The back is still covered with that black stuff, whatever it is, that was used to seal it to the tailgate from the factory.

How should I mount this to my gate? I'm thinking double sided tape? Idk if it would be strong enough to hold it, though.
And I'm assuming I should strip it down to the metal first. Any bright ideas for doing that? Whatever that stuff is that's on there, it's tough. Really tough. I had a hell of a time getting the banner off the old gate. It did not want to come off, believe me.

Thanks

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
As for removing the black tape i would say heat it up with a heat gun to soften it then scrape it off. As for reattaching it to your gate go to a body shop and pick up some 3M double sided molding tape. its the same stuff they use to put the side moldings on to vehicles...it aint goin anywhere with the right tape used.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might be able to heat up the black stuff on the back side of it and then just stick it to your tailgate and as it cools i think it will stick to the tailgate. That's how i would do it anyways

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Wow boys, thanks for all the quick replies!

As for removing the black tape i would say heat it up with a heat gun to soften it then scrape it off. As for reattaching it to your gate go to a body shop and pick up some 3M double sided molding tape. its the same stuff they use to put the side moldings on to vehicles...it aint goin anywhere with the right tape used.

I never thought of heat. Duh. I have been trying to just scrape it off with a rugged paint scraper. That simply wasn't happening. In my defence, bodywork is like Greek to me. Even the simple stuff. I like unbolting stuff and bolting it back on haha

You might be able to heat up the black stuff on the back side of it and then just stick it to your tailgate and as it cools i think it will stick to the tailgate. That's how i would do it anyways

Very interesting idea. Never thought of that. I might bring the whole works in the house where it's warm, set it up on a bench, and give that a try. Can't hurt anything, if it doesn't work I could just remove it.

Also make sure its warm out or the tape will not stick, learned from experience :banghead:
3m double sided tape worked for me, just do all around the edge then strips down the whole thing
'Butyl' will work too. Automotive glass shops have it.

Thanks for the suggestions. What is Butyl? Never heard of it.

i vote leave it off,,, lol

Hahaha, I'm a GM guy, that's why I like my trucks mostly stock. I don't want it to look like a Dodge tailgate. The dodge rims I'm running now are bad enough.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Butyl is the stuff that is used on some older vehicles to seal & hold windshields in place. Comes in different widths & thicknesses, on a roll. Has paper on it so that it doesn't stick to itself. The stuff I've used is about 3/8" wide & 1/8" thick.
It never really gets hard, no matter what the temp. Stays soft & very sticky. Anything such as plastic emblems, logos, moldings, etc., can be held in place with this stuff. Things stuck on with butyl can be removed with fishing line. You wouldn't have to remove any of the glue that's on the banner right now.
It's cheap, too. To do your banner might cost ya $5-$10.
If you talk nice to the guys in the glass shop, they might give you some roll ends or pieces, enough to do what you need to.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Butyl is the stuff that is used on some older vehicles to seal & hold windshields in place. Comes in different widths & thicknesses, on a roll. Has paper on it so that it doesn't stick to itself. The stuff I've used is about 3/8" wide & 1/8" thick.
It never really gets hard, no matter what the temp. Stays soft & very sticky. Anything such as plastic emblems, logos, moldings, etc., can be held in place with this stuff. Things stuck on with butyl can be removed with fishing line. You wouldn't have to remove any of the glue that's on the banner right now.
It's cheap, too. To do your banner might cost ya $5-$10.
If you talk nice to the guys in the glass shop, they might give you some roll ends or pieces, enough to do what you need to.

Hmmm...you've got me interested. Might have to give it a try. Thanks for the info!