check this showroom stock GMT 400 out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be happy to explain. The link isn't working for me now, but I remember the claim of show room stock, then proceeds to list mods. So why say show room stock? That's all.
Iirc, ad implied it was bought used at a dealership. -Unless your close family owns the dealership, it goes without saying that you paid too much. That's all.
And yes, absolutely beautiful truck, and if I was given the ultimatum of buying a new truck, or yours, I'd buy yours. Period.
The Truck was purchased at a dealership as the the family was friends with the dealership. It was on consignment by the family. Does not matter as the ruck was what it was. I did not hesitate to purchase it as these trucks do not exist and several people were coming into look at the truck I purchased it with only photos and did not want to wait for lots of people to show up as that is not a lot of money for that kind of truck.
As to the so called mods I would call them improvements for that year of truck. A backup camera and some 4 wheel disc brakes is nothing that makes the truck out of place. The rest of the new installs would be something anybody would do. The truck was original right down to the factory shocks. so somethings were obviously going to have to be replaced....One thing is that those year seats need some added lumbar support......HUGE difference and brought up todays seating/comfort standards....whats I have done did not take away from anything showroom stock. I would not touch the truck as it really would look good in a Modern Chevy Showroom...even smells new...somehow it retained that smell....no smokers ever.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not really concerned about money that much. If I see something exceptional I am going to purchase it and that is what I did here with this truck. There were several people interested in the truck and I did not want to lose it so I paid the asking price..I did not care if t was 8k or 12k because these trucks dont exist.
Currently the truck is listed and is selling o EBAY with the reserve off at 10k so I will be losing some money if it goes no higher..not a big deal just wanted to sell the truck at a reasonable price for what it is..so it might go for 10 and that is a bargain. If it did not sell I would relist in the spring. There is ALWAYS a market for a nice pickup and during this pandemic the auctions cant even find pickups to sell. A friend of mine said I could get 8 to 10k at an auction and that is wholesale. I dont think on this forum there is a buyer but maybe generate some interest from some of your friends...like you know the young guys that lay down50 k for a truck..I see them running all over the place..What on earth can you buy for 10k that will do what this truck can do and for that condition......nothing that I can see.

well....these trucks do exist. You’re selling one. I see decent GMT400s out there. They may be more rare rare as far as quantity in low mileage great condition but that’s just a ownership care and time factor. But they're out there. You may look a while for one. I hope you get as much as you can out of that truck. But like I said that possible high 12/16k price point you may be waiting, looking or hoping for ....someone HAS to want THAT truck and willing to pay a higher amount. Competition, people not wanting something that old, wrong combination of options, higher tow ratings, gas mileage, etc all goes out the window of you finds guy drooling for THAT truck.

Personally I don’t know anyone who will plunk down 12/14/16k on a 23 year old old Chevy ....unless like stated they just gotta have that truck. They are gonna go straight to a diesel at that price point or even willingly spend a few bucks more to upgrade rather than “go backwards” sort of speak. 10k is about the most I would entertain if I was looking for a that particular model if I were in the market.

Right now the used car market is up for a few reasons ranging from cost, affordability and availability of new cars vs a good solid used vehicle. You may get more. Wish you luck with your sale.
Thank you.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well....these trucks do exist. You’re selling one. I see decent GMT400s out there. They may be more rare rare as far as quantity in low mileage great condition but that’s just a ownership care and time factor. But they're out there. You may look a while for one. I hope you get as much as you can out of that truck. But like I said that possible high 12/16k price point you may be waiting, looking or hoping for ....someone HAS to want THAT truck and willing to pay a higher amount. Competition, people not wanting something that old, wrong combination of options, higher tow ratings, gas mileage, etc all goes out the window of you finds guy drooling for THAT truck.

Personally I don’t know anyone who will plunk down 12/14/16k on a 23 year old old Chevy ....unless like stated they just gotta have that truck. They are gonna go straight to a diesel at that price point or even willingly spend a few bucks more to upgrade rather than “go backwards” sort of speak. 10k is about the most I would entertain if I was looking for a that particular model if I were in the market.

Right now the used car market is up for a few reasons ranging from cost, affordability and availability of new cars vs a good solid used vehicle. You may get more. Wish you luck with your sale.
Thank you.
A local dealer tried to buy it for 10 k last year....This year he said he cannot even buy a decent used pickup..not much out there. I think if a guy does not have 30k for a used truck this will be attractive since it will give him or her lots of optional use. I towed a race car around the entire untied states with one of these trucks and nver had a problem..........very reliable and easy to repair...Its Sold on ebay as of now anyway

John Pippin

Reaction score
Very beautiful truck. Poor description, high price paid by him, but an excellent truck.
He's probably expecting to get every penny he's put into it... $12.5 plus 4.
If I could swing it, I'd still spend the $$$ on this instead of a brand new truck.
Have this conversation all the time. Lol It's crazy you can spend $40-80k on something that $10k and under can get you. I mean not all the bells and whistles, unless you want them, and if you do, installing them isn't out of the question.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have this conversation all the time. Lol It's crazy you can spend $40-80k on something that $10k and under can get you. I mean not all the bells and whistles, unless you want them, and if you do, installing them isn't out of the question.

Lol I think it's one of those things that these trucks are old. Lived there life and technology kept going and new trucks came with fancy crap from factory and price skyrocket. Then we were like hey we can add that crap to these trucks and make them better and boom. Gmt400 became #1 again.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd give 12k all day for a 400 like that that clean. Not sure how many of you have had to hunt for a clean crew cab HD 400, there's A LOT of garbage out there. There was one very clean CCLB dually I passed on at 8500 and it hurt, but it was 2wd and lowered. Unlowering is easy, 4wd conversion? No thanks. Duallies are ****** worthless in the snow. You selection blows, and most of what's out there is beat, so you either resurrect something or pay the premium. I got mine for 6000 with no bed, the cost of the bed in the end is either zero or negative because it's wrapped up in another truck I'm flipping for a profit if I ever finish the damn thing. I got it with a bad cam I couldn't hear because of the squeaking belts which is common with the Whipples and spent a good chunk of time cleaning the rust off the back of the frame. Rest of the frame was pretty clean. My point is, I've put time and money into my dually to get it where it is. The truck feels and drives like new. The interior has so little wear it's crazy. The texture is still there on the steering wheel, the HVAC knobs all have a new like click between detents, and the driver's seat is as fresh as I've eve seen or sat on. Those are your options. Blood, sweat, and tears, open up your wallet, or settle for garbage.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd give 12k all day for a 400 like that that clean. Not sure how many of you have had to hunt for a clean crew cab HD 400, there's A LOT of garbage out there. There was one very clean CCLB dually I passed on at 8500 and it hurt, but it was 2wd and lowered. Unlowering is easy, 4wd conversion? No thanks. Duallies are ****** worthless in the snow. You selection blows, and most of what's out there is beat, so you either resurrect something or pay the premium. I got mine for 6000 with no bed, the cost of the bed in the end is either zero or negative because it's wrapped up in another truck I'm flipping for a profit if I ever finish the damn thing. I got it with a bad cam I couldn't hear because of the squeaking belts which is common with the Whipples and spent a good chunk of time cleaning the rust off the back of the frame. Rest of the frame was pretty clean. My point is, I've put time and money into my dually to get it where it is. The truck feels and drives like new. The interior has so little wear it's crazy. The texture is still there on the steering wheel, the HVAC knobs all have a new like click between detents, and the driver's seat is as fresh as I've eve seen or sat on. Those are your options. Blood, sweat, and tears, open up your wallet, or settle for garbage.

Well when they are used over and over again things get worn out lol. When my dad gave me my suburban I believe it had like 340 or 360k miles on it. Shes definitely not in mint condition. I really want to restore it one day and put a 383. But life happens

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well when they are used over and over again things get worn out lol. When my dad gave me my suburban I believe it had like 340 or 360k miles on it. Shes definitely not in mint condition. I really want to restore it one day and put a 383. But life happens

That they do, but I got my dually at 130k. 5 years before I bought it it had 50k, so that's a lot of highway miles. But also a lot of beat downs in oil fields as it was a welding truck. Were it a welding truck its whole life it would have been a pile, but since it was loved the majority of its life there was enough left to save.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That they do, but I got my dually at 130k. 5 years before I bought it it had 50k, so that's a lot of highway miles. But also a lot of beat downs in oil fields as it was a welding truck. Were it a welding truck its whole life it would have been a pile, but since it was loved the majority of its life there was enough left to save.

That's good. This one has a lot of highway mileage too. Growing up we went all over the coast for vacations. Shes been good to me