is this real or a fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Some of y'all are cracking me up, dude forgets (or doesn't know) it's a Centurion and he has everyone scratching their heads. It's a Centurion, or similar aftermarket conversion. :)

Many, but not all, of the Centurions have some small badging to that effect but time takes its toll, someone may have peeled them or the truck may have been repainted. The badging I'm thinking of was a decal on the front doors above the "1500" emblems but I also vaguely recall a small interior badge somewhere. This may depend on year model or package.

7th digit of the VIN says it all. '4' in that position = 2 door regular cab

GM indeed never made a 1500 crew cab GMT400.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he has everyone scratching their heads
…not everyone. The whole idea of those seems dumb when buying an unbutchered brand new crew cab was available. With the correct frame.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the VIN indicates it's a 1500, 2 door, which it does - it's a conversion, almost surely done by Centurion as they were the "biggest" company doing that particular job, though they didn't do many. Some detective work around the frame and floor will reveal the chopping. Vehicles change hands enough times the seller may not have any idea who did the work, just that he knows it's uncommon.

Edit - after a quick re-read I guess I get your point, though you could not buy that truck configuration from GM. I know most of us here know that. You had to get a 2500/3500 and accept the longbed (or wait until the very last years where you could score the rare-ish 2500/3500 crew shortbeds) and heavier duty truck with all that comes with it.

I'll admit when I first found out about them I thought they were pretty cool but the more we learn about build quality, I would pass on them. Same with the 3500HD crew cabs; apparently done very poorly. The 3500HD 4x4 conversions also done by those same companies also sound like hack jobs.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the VIN indicates it's a 1500, 2 door, which it does - it's a conversion, almost surely done by Centurion as they were the "biggest" company doing that particular job, though they didn't do many. Some detective work around the frame and floor will reveal the chopping. Vehicles change hands enough times the seller may not have any idea who did the work, just that he knows it's uncommon.

Richard
…and he lists it as a conversion.