Check out this 1989 dually in MI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Auction house, I frequent. Look at that beautiful blue interior. I'd definitely want to undo some of the modifications, Though. That's a MK4 454, that needs it's air cleaner lid flipped back to the right side, but any ideas what the blue ignition boxes are? I'm not used to seeing anything but MSD.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The old Guys will recognize the Jacobs ignition products. Was a small performance ignition products company. I read that Mallory ignition now bought or merged with them, and have their products. The heart rests missing. Sketchy under hood wiring. At swap meet today , a set of 5 spoke dually aluminum wheels for sale, $300. Got a 92 Chevy truck OE manual for $30.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I looked at the truck today. It definitely has some wear that the pictures don't show, but it's still in awesome condition for Michigan. I think the seat covers are aftermarket, as there are no holes for headrests. I was suprised to see that the 454 doesn't have the carb manifold with the liquid cooled adapter. It looked like an aluminum intake. I have no idea if that's OEM, or aftermarket.... didn't pay that close attention. It's had some 2nd battery isolation added, and then cables cut.

The front bumper while not my choice looks much better in person than in the pictures. It doesn't stick out nearly as far as the pictures make it look.

If I had the room, I'd love to buy it. You just don't see nice/decent examples of the 400s much any more in MI.

I also looked at an old SnapOn box....thing was beat.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those seats never had headrests. Didn't see headrests til around.. 91. Those are factory seats/upholstery. Note the clever angle on the driver seat not showing the very edge - when you went to see it in person, was there some wear in that area? Usually the reason for that style of pic-taking. The grandpa running boards may have prevented it, though.

Those look like genuine Alcoa wheels but looks like someone may have done some damage cleaning with an acid product, especially right front. They could come out really sharp after a bunch of sanding and polishing.

I'd have to toss the bumpers, visor, bug guard, running boards, cap, and a few other items but agreed it looks like a solid truck, esp for up North.

Just remember that truck doesn't come with an overdrive trans. TH400

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Those seats never had headrests. Didn't see headrests til around.. 91. Those are factory seats/upholstery. Note the clever angle on the driver seat not showing the very edge - when you went to see it in person, was there some wear in that area? Usually the reason for that style of pic-taking. The grandpa running boards may have prevented it, though.

I didn't notice wear, but I was looking more at the seat backs for evidence of head rests, since GoToGuy had mentioned it.

Those look like genuine Alcoa wheels but looks like someone may have done some damage cleaning with an acid product, especially right front. They could come out really sharp after a bunch of sanding and polishing.

Yes, I noticed that damage in person, too. Those are not something I see, except online. If they'd done winters here, they'd be all eaten up with salt.

I'd have to toss the bumpers, visor, bug guard, running boards, cap, and a few other items but agreed it looks like a solid truck, esp for up North.

Agreed, I'd also remove much of the accessories.

Just remember that truck doesn't come with an overdrive trans. TH400

I hadn't thought of that. No biggie for me, as I wouldn't be using it to commute.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like extended cabs. I don't like 4wd duallys. I don't like camper shells. I don't like JC Whitney looking accessories.
Why do I like this truck???
It's everything I hate, but somehow it works.
Period correct time capsules always get me. I think that’s why I kind of like this one. But I would roast somebody if they tried doing this look today.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't like extended cabs. I don't like 4wd duallys. I don't like camper shells. I don't like JC Whitney looking accessories.
Why do I like this truck???
It's everything I hate, but somehow it works.

LOL! I'd definitely undo some of the mods. I do not like caps (camper shell), but would probably leave it on for a bit just because it's fall and it would keep the leaves out. That front bumper would definitely have to go. It's modified to fit the truck whatever it is. The top is fitted with a few individually cut pieces of diamond plate.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you bought it and I were closer to you I’d buy the topper. I need one for my ‘94.