Changing the fluid in my 14-bolt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So anyway.... back to the topic...

Given my historty/experience, is this something I could try? Not dure if there are any specialty tools I'd need. My Diff spreader and yoke puller are for the smaller models.
I haven't done one myself, but I think you could probably do it with the right tools, especially if you have done one in the past. For a yoke puller, just use a harmonic balancer puller with two long bolts while the wheels are on the ground and it comes off easy. There is a thread on here with unit repair manuals that go into great detail about rebuilding these. The great thing is that they are externally shimmed, so no taking the pinion apart a bunch of times to get the right depth. Also the carrier doesn't use shims, just two nuts that spin in and out that you turn with a screwdriver.

You could probably take the pinion housing to a driveline shop and they could set it up for you and that's a lot of hassle dealt with, and you wouldn't need the special tools for taking that apart.

I'm not sure about anything related to the limited slip, though.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The magnet was doing what a magnet does.
But should I be concerned? That's the real question.
Yes - if the cage is from a bearing still in it and in use. The cage keeps the rollers spaced so they are all around to provide support. Without the cage they can/will all crowd to one side and the effect would be as though the bearing has collapsed. Can't believe this could have happened without it making enough noise to alert you. So...
...no, probably no real cause for concern as the parts must be from a previous (now rectified) failure.
If the diff is rotating ( pinion and carrier) by hand with no feeling of roughness, I'd leave it be.