CB radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Great White - GREAT info posted here!

You mentioned "coiled up coax", I have about a foot coiled up under my rear bumper. Would that effect anything?

A "coil" effectively turns it into a "choke". This cuts down on signal. It's like wrapping wire around a ferrite bead, except there's no ferrite.

Excess coax should be loosely routed or if it must be coiled it should be in a figure 8. This takes away most of the choke effect.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Does your coax use a solder'd end? My buddy did mine when I put my CB in and I couldn't reach out past 100 yds. After much :banghead: I checked the coax and ended up re-soldering the end. Works great now!

Thing to watch with soldering PL259 ends on coax is the insulator is easily melted (white stuff inside). Melting the center insulator compromises the qualities of the coax.

I find it very difficult to do properly so I just buy coax with pre-soldered ends or I use the ring end terminal type.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
A "coil" effectively turns it into a "choke". This cuts down on signal. It's like wrapping wire around a ferrite bead, except there's no ferrite.

Excess coax should be loosely routed or if it must be coiled it should be in a figure 8. This takes away most of the choke effect.

Awesome, thanks - I'll reroute my coax this weekend.