cb radio setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
looking to drop a CB in the 98'. I want a compact model that can fit in the little accessory tray under the HVAC controls in the dash.

Looking at this CB: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...retainProdsInSession=1&camp=PPC:Google:Radios

With two (I've got two CB mounts on my toolbox in the bed) 48" Firestiks:
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

I think after having the radio and antennas peaked and tuned it should be a decent little radio for the occasional off-roading adventures I do but mostly highway travel to and from college (4 hours). Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
That radio looks decent for the price and it should fit in the cubbie. If you wanna run 2 antennas(for looks, I do) just buy a single output coax cable and not the 1 into 2 split..it'll distort the signal.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Midland makes a good radio, I think you'll be happy with it. You should be able to get an easy 3-5 miles out of it, as long as you tune the SWR you should be good to go. As far as the antenna, the firestick will give you pretty decent reception. Although if you want optimal reception, your going to want to go with a antenna mounted in the center of the roof for the best plane. It looks goofy but it does provide excellent performance. I personally wouldn't mount a roof mount on my truck, but as for performance that's the way to go.

fletch

Reaction score
I had a firestik mounted behind the cab inside the rail on my '98 ext cab and i had tuned it and got a pretty low swr. I wasnt happy with the performance of it. Granted I only had one, I don't know how two perform, but I could send further than I could recieve. I changed to a larsen roof mount antenna and an NMO mount. The performance of this antenna is night and day over the firestick mounted behind the cab. pic to show antenna on center of roof. I also have a weather cap incase i need to remove the antenna for clearance issues.
You must be registered for see images attach

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
If you mount an antanna to your bed your cab will interfere with the reception, if you run two it gets worse depending on cb. Roof mounted is better because it is higher and doesnt have any interference

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet looking truck. So much potential EXCELLENT colors.
You must be registered for see images attach

Love the addict wheels, black out the grille red/black chevy bowtie and get like a KMA front winch bumper or something and that thing will look SO nice.

bowtiedude

Reaction score
Save your Firesticks for stirring the fire pit. I use Wilson 2000's on the Pete. I have a single Wilson 2000 on my pickup. With Firesticks or K40 I was never able to get the swr decent. On a pickup go with a single 18' coax cable loop the excess cable in a wide loop. Also if you are mounting antenna on your toolbox ground the antenna mount to the frame of your truck. As for a radio I have a Uniden pc68xl in my pickup.

Bocephus

Reaction score
looking to drop a CB in the 98'. I want a compact model that can fit in the little accessory tray under the HVAC controls in the dash.

Looking at this CB: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3799949&retainProdsInSession=1&camp=PPC:Google:Radios

With two (I've got two CB mounts on my toolbox in the bed) 48" Firestiks:
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

I think after having the radio and antennas peaked and tuned it should be a decent little radio for the occasional off-roading adventures I do but mostly highway travel to and from college (4 hours). Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.
What cb did you get to fit? The link didn't take me to one. I'm trying to find one to put in that spot as well using the slider clips from a radio install kit

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What cb did you get to fit? The link didn't take me to one. I'm trying to find one to put in that spot as well using the slider clips from a radio install kit
That's because the link, and the last message, is 10 years old...
Not to mention OP hasn't posted in a decade either.