CB Radio Mounting and Routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regal_Six

Reaction score
Anyone still running a CB radio in their trucks? Got a decent quality one for free from someone, figured it wouldn't hurt anything to install it. We use CB handhelds when we hunt and work cows etc, so might get some use. Wondering on where to put it and the best way to get the antenna cable to the outside. Thinking about mounting it under the dash next to my trailer brake controller, but then I have to run the antenna cable under the carpet to get to the pillar and out the front of the rear doors (yes I know I'm picky, I don't like loose wires running everywhere). If I mount it in front of my center console, I have less of a hassle with the antenna wire but I have to get power to it. Pics of installs would be awesome!

Regal_Six

Reaction score
Oh forgot to mention, I want to go with an 18" to 2' magnet mount antenna on the roof. If i was mounting by the factory FM antenna then obviously it would be easiest to mount under the dash and run the cable through the firewall.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen them mounted on the Pillar behind the driver . From there it is a quick trip out the cab bottom to a magnet mount or toolbox mount antenna. This puts the unit behind the drive and the speaker fairly near so no need for high volume distortion. Also an aftermarket speaker usually really helps the audio. Unless you plan to do a lot of channel hopping that location should work well . I haven't mounted mine yet but considering that rather than something hanging under the dash.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your CB radio has Public Address functionality, don't forget to get a horn speaker to go with it. I had one hooked up behind the grille on my 1978 Cadillac Eldorado back in the day, and it was endlessly amusing!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sometimes I miss that old Cobra CB radio, but I miss the old Cadillac more!

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This pic was meant to show the HVAC knobs, but it’s the only one with the CB I’ve got at the moment.

Uniden Pro520, centered under the 12V ports in the dash. It’s a bit of a reach to fiddle with while driving, but the mic clips to the cup holder which is a handy spot on the road. Passenger can still reach it too, if that’s a concern.

I’ve got a Wilson Lil Wil at the moment, I can go about 5mi. I would like to go to a permanent antenna in the future. Can’t decide if I do a stake pocket, or front fender mount. I feel like either option might not perform as well as the magnetic centered on the roof. I just hate the coax hanging around, and worry about tearing up the paint.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the much less glamorous approach

1977 Royce 639.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk