Car stereo in dash pocket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I like the front of that console idea and was wanting to do something like it... But I'm a little more limited on space given a 60/40 bench, and 4x4 and manual shifters lol. I was more thinking of keeping the factory radio and sticking a 1-DIN down there where you put the screen, but I don't know if there's enough room for one with the 5-speed shifter being right there.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the front of that console idea and was wanting to do something like it... But I'm a little more limited on space given a 60/40 bench, and 4x4 and manual shifters lol. I was more thinking of keeping the factory radio and sticking a 1-DIN down there where you put the screen, but I don't know if there's enough room for one with the 5-speed shifter being right there.
There’s no way with 1st, 3rd and 5th gear you will be able to get a center console if front of the shifter boot. Your best bet is a single din radio bezel. If you haven’t done one before. You don’t have to cut the dash out. You just have to reused your heater vents and bezel clips. You can order it in black or in colors. Just make sure you get a harness adapter so you don’t butcher your wires, an antenna extension and a storage box if you have a radio above the heater control. Then just keep your old bezel and radio just in case you ever switch back. The stock radio don’t usually work very well, mine stock radio sounded terrible when you turned it up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Maybe not a console like you have, but I'm certain I can make something work. Also I'm in the process of rewiring literally my entire truck so yeah, I know what I'm doing lol. If I wanted an aftermarket in the middle where I actually want my tape deck to still be usable, I'd have never said anything :p I know for a fact a mech-less will fit between the shifter and the dash. The only thing I'm not sure of at the moment is whether a CD player will. Once I get my dash put in, I will be finding out!

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe not a console like you have, but I'm certain I can make something work. Also I'm in the process of rewiring literally my entire truck so yeah, I know what I'm doing lol. If I wanted an aftermarket in the middle where I actually want my tape deck to still be usable, I'd have never said anything :p I know for a fact a mech-less will fit between the shifter and the dash. The only thing I'm not sure of at the moment is whether a CD player will. Once I get my dash put in, I will be finding out!
Sorry wasn’t sure what kind of experience you have. I am definitely interested In what you come up with.

Last edited:

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 Silverado 2wd that has the center mounted stereo and I hate it because you have to lean over to do anything like put a cd in or change any settings. Makes it unsafe. I see that there are some new units, but it seems like you lose the cd player unless you go with the center mount. Old school works for me as I don't need all the big screen and fancy apple stuff. Phone is ok but we are supposed to be driving not texting or talking on the phone, just my opinion.