Can you paint CHROME?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a company called Alsa has some kind of primer or paint for chrome. I have never used it.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think a company called Alsa has some kind of primer or paint for chrome. I have never used it.
The Alsa stuff I used kinda looks like chrome but kinda doesn't. From 20ft it looks like chrome. Up close and personal it looks like clearcoated polished aluminum. I believe they have a couple different versions of the stuff now. Also, the Alsa I used was very humidity sensitive and you would need to be in a controlled booth and even then it would blush out. Stuff was a real PITA to get applied properly.

Last edited:

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an ECSB and have always liked the diesel bumpers w/fog lights. I plan on debadging at least as far as the impact strips all the way around. I got a W/T rear bumper because the plastic tread doesn’t stick out farther to allow for the impact strip. I finally found a diesel front bumper, but it’s chrome. Can anyone point me in the direction of a stickie or a thread on how to remove the chrome or atleast prep it to take paint?
Lightly sand blast, seal and paint. I have done it numerous times on chrome and stainless. My 09 Chevy truck had a chrome bumper, I blasted, epoxied, base, cleared it when it was new. 12 years and 220+K miles later it has only a few chips. I shoulda added flex to the clear.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
at what point does it become cost prohibitive? unless your a professional with a bunch of tools and do this every day.

I know my own capabilities and I'm so damn slow at painting. it would probably take me a few days to paint a chrome bumper.

what does a new paintable bumper cost?

dont ever forget about your time... labor costs money even if it's just you and you have all the time in the world, just dont leave your labour out of your decision.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at what point does it become cost prohibitive? unless your a professional with a bunch of tools and do this every day.

I know my own capabilities and I'm so damn slow at painting. it would probably take me a few days to paint a chrome bumper.

what does a new paintable bumper cost?

dont ever forget about your time... labor costs money even if it's just you and you have all the time in the world, just dont leave your labour out of your decision.
How hard can it be, our Fearless Leader painted his face. And had no problems.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so if I want to color match my bumpers, does this paint you speak of come on customizable colors?
There's epoxy primer you can use after sanding the chrome-and it seem to be the only thing that works on chrome tho I was suggested etched primer would work too-then you can paint it whatever color you want.

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a solution to my chrome problem…

Totally scored this weekend at the junk yard! I got a painted tahoe limited fog light bumper! Woohoo!

Now if anyone in the eastern NC area needs a smoothie diesel bumper w fog light holes, let me know and maybe we can work something out!
You must be registered for see images attach

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I painted my chrome bumper, first sanded then used rust oleum self etching primer, then used high build primer, then paint and clear coat. I don’t have any issues with peeling or flaking, been almost a year and 1 cross country drive later

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lightly sand blast, seal and paint. I have done it numerous times on chrome and stainless. My 09 Chevy truck had a chrome bumper, I blasted, epoxied, base, cleared it when it was new. 12 years and 220+K miles later it has only a few chips. I shoulda added flex to the clear.

You are the only autobody person that I have ever heard say this. Most laugh at you for asking if you can paint chrome or ss.