Can those who know better double check my work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know there are about 1,000,000 threads out there, but with so many, my search function has become watered down big time. I came across some money and I think I am going to be doing the SAS swap. Here is what I have come up with. Please rip the appart and be as picky as possible. I dont want to get into it and end up stuck for a while.

Axles: I am going to go with the 88-92 F350 axles as I can get a matching set pretty easily. I plan on doing new brakes and rebuilding both axles with a min of 4.56 gears.

Lift: I am looking to get about 7" of lift before tires, and still plan on hauling almost daily with my weekends dedicated to ruling the trails. I have been told the skyjacker softride would give me the strength and ride I want. I'm planning on 2.5" front lift and 5" rears.

SAS Kit: I was thinking about going with the SKY kit to include shock hoops and dana 60 cross over kit

Shocks: I could probably get them from sky jacker, but from everyone I have talked to personally, Rancho shocks can't be beat.

Drive shafts: I was looking at 88GMCTruck's thread and he mentioned the nbs shafts being about 2" longer. I may try that or jsut have mine made longer. Not sure how much I will need for roughly 7" of lift.

Brake lines: not sure where yet, but I will definitely be running braided lines. If someone know the length, I can get a set to match no issues.

Im not sure if I am forgetting anything. I know I am going to need new wheels and tires. Please rip it apart and fine tune this on me.

Red97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sky sas kit looks pretty nice. I wish they would have offset there rear shackle instead of running a spacer. If you only want 7" of lift then you will want to drill the sky brackets front x-member hole about 2" closer to the frame. so the brackets will only give you 4" of lift and then 2.5" of springs. Are you going to use 47" springs or 52" springs? 52's will ride a little better. It was cheaper for me to run disc brakes on the sterling than rebuild the drums. To run disc brakes I added a old school k30 master cylinder and a proportionate valve for the rear brakes. as for the drive shaft i had to shorten my rear shaft because the pig on the sterling rear axle was about 4" longer than the 10 bolt. let me know if you have any other questions.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might want to check into the offroad designs kit also. I've heard mixed reviews about the sky kit from people who've used both.

You may not have to touch your rear driveshaft, other than a conversion u-joint. With a longer pinion and only 7" of lift it may equal out to close enough. I'd suggest a SYE kit which would also require a slightly longer shaft. But then you can add a longer slip-joint so you don't pull the shaft out of the transfer case with too much downtravel. This would require a custom shaft but they're not that expensive.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
way better than sas swap is engine/trans swap. to fully use a solid front axle you need to beat the living piss out of your truck and WAY harder than you're probably even used to driving at this point. go have fun and break a few control arms in half and THEN talk about big axles. because dont forget to use them you also need a ballsy transfer case and the willingness to smash the outside of your truck to pieces.

BUT in the end i vote save money and do nothing but maintain what you have.

my 2 cents =)