Can I efficiently rebuild an internal combustion engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Tapa won't let me upload a photo of my workbench I guess. Anyway, I measured the bores today, and it is .060 over. None seem to be badly tapered, so I think I can dingle ball them. Did some digging on the engine codes, and it is:

9790071 - 1968 400
K167 - Cast November 16, '67
Code XM - GTO, Auto or Manual
Engine sequence - 254893

The sequence number replaced what would of been the last digits of the VIN which was stopped in '67 model year cars. By the day this was cast in '67 it seems like they moved on from that.

Next I need to measure all pistons, and figure out the clearance. Then measure the crank, I already know that's .010 under, as marked on the rod bearings. Then the rod bearings clearances, and mains. I'm measuring with the old bearings first to see how bad or good it was because I'm nosy. At that point I will fully disassemble the block (freeze plugs, oil galley plugs, dowl pins, ect) and plan my attack on the potential machine work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To learn how to rebuild an engine, and do it semi right. Like checking tolerances and what it ends up in, either my truck or ? Maybe I'll gone another rotted out G-Body??

I've done a couple, sure I'll do more. I think it's more fun to roll the dice on old used crap than to do it right. Or to just make a mish mash out of an engine, had excellent results with my "too ghetto to fail" 5.0 Ford I did back in 2012. I also slapped forged pistons and rods into a 4 cylinder that I proceeded to boost around the same time without so much as honing, though admittedly I had a fresh short block waiting in the wings for that one. Still ran pretty damn good.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
I've done a couple, sure I'll do more. I think it's more fun to roll the dice on old used crap than to do it right. Or to just make a mish mash out of an engine, had excellent results with my "too ghetto to fail" 5.0 Ford I did back in 2012. I also slapped forged pistons and rods into a 4 cylinder that I proceeded to boost around the same time without so much as honing, though admittedly I had a fresh short block waiting in the wings for that one. Still ran pretty damn good.
If I'm going to spend time doing it, I'm going to make sure it's right. But that's just me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
At this point I'm a glutton for punishment. I have no qualms hucking a junk motor in just to see what happens.