Cam options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW I have the Vortec to TBI intake on my 880 block with the Vortec water pump and TBI accessories/bracket. Everything lines up fine. The intake comes with two coolant outlets - one in the back for the heater core and one in the front right next to the tstat as a bypass. That one is routed into the water pump via a couple short pieces of rubber and an elbow. It's tight but it works. I'll see if I can grab a pic

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok got some pics. I had to tap and plug the third water pump hole on the pass side of the block. This was originally a L31 crate engine btw. Pics show the elbow, hoses, and the Vortec pulley. The accessory bracket is from a 1995 TBI. earlier (88-93) may have been different than 94-95

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1719.jpeg
    IMG_1719.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1720.jpeg
    IMG_1720.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1721.jpeg
    IMG_1721.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 7

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Vortec to TBI intake uses the TBI tstat.

Derr, it's for a TBI application. I guess I just had to say it out loud to realize it was wrong. How about a carb'd intake for a Vortec application then? Slap an adapter on there and avoid drilling? Or maybe the rare Mexican Vortec/TBI intake? Assuming they used Vortec heads under the late TBIs.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no rare Mexican Vortec TBI intake, it is a myth, the GM performance parts one was probably r&d for the improved TBI head we know as the 305 Vortec head. You may be right about a carb intake and an adapter though, early 454 TBIs had one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is no rare Mexican Vortec TBI intake, it is a myth, the GM performance parts one was probably r&d for the improved TBI head we know as the 305 Vortec head. You may be right about a carb intake and an adapter though, early 454 TBIs had one.

You're aware of the TBI living into the Vortec in Mexico, right? Or are you speculating that the GMPP intake was used on those trucks?

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
After reading what everyone has said about this, I'd rather go with the vortec pump/fan clutch. I'd rather not risk fudging up drilling the holes in the block. That being said, I want to make sure I understand the routing of the houses. The outlet on the RH(drivers) will go to the outlet on near the thermostat and the LH(pass) will connect to the heater core. On the heater core hoses, does it matter which one will run to the pump and the other to the radiator?

I'm assuming the outlet on the rear of the manifold I won't need, correct? Gaskets I'm guessing would be the TBI set?

@Schurkey On my statement earlier, I meant to say the 880 block I'm building has the provisions for roller cam, but not the coolant bypass.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is FALSE. I have had two of them in my hands both from factory non-egr applications as well as seen several of the marine equivalents. Mercruiser also used a TBI Vortec manifold with 2" bores and no EGR provision.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score

That is FALSE. I have had two of them in my hands both from factory non-egr applications as well as seen several of the marine equivalents. Mercruiser also used a TBI Vortec manifold with 2" bores and no EGR provision.
is this what you are taking about
You must be registered for see images attach

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those 96 1 ton G Vans did not have Vortecs, they were rated at like 185 hp and I have seen some Mexican Trucks and Tahoes that had Vortecs but they were not TBI.