cam options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-iron

Reaction score
i have a 96 7.4L k3500. i want to put the biggest cam and still be able to run efi without a bunch of problems. i really dont care about towing because its going to be lifted and off road also im looking for recommendations on what aftermarket fuel pump i should use

TexasT

Reaction score
Are you planning a 411 swap or staying with the "black box"? Either will require a retune when going to a "larger" cam but the 411 gives the ability to be more precise as it has more tables to tune with and a faster processor.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't care about towing, but it will be a lifted off road truck. . . those are kinda the same in terms of cam needs. My truck has a 212/218 and power band is about the same as stock, not surprising. It's the lift that helps my truck, I gained about .050" over stock. Cam timing is better too. Mine is a custom cam though. Gonna need to keep it on the smaller side, if you can get one with LSA in the 110-112 range it'll help with torque and sound choppier, ICL should be advanced around 4 degrees from there to further help with torque. Mine builds less pressure than what I recommended because I have a blower.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What he's saying is....Yes, you should care about towing (power).

A lifted truck with larger tires will need more power to turn those larger wheels/tires just to achieve the same acceleration/power as a smaller stock wheel/tire truck.

That power comes in the form of torque. Torque is what you need for towing.
So.... towing, and/or having a lifted off-road truck, kinda have the same requirements ..... More torque.... to maintain the same acceleration/power as a stock truck, as the tires get bigger.

Horsepower is a different animal, but is a function of torque, meaning hp is determined by torque (and other factors).

Unless you're drag racing that off-roader, you should care about torque (or towing power).

Quick analogy of torque & horsepower. I'm no expert on this, & I tend to explain things on a 3rd grade level, so it's not entirely correct.... but you get the idea.
A man pulling a bucket of water up from a well using a pulley at the top.
-- Torque is rotational Force. He has one pull on the rope & can lift a 220 lb bucket of water. That's torque (rotational Force to turn pulley).
-- Horsepower is how far he can lift that bucket in a set amount of time. Let's use 10 seconds.

220 lb bucket raised 5 feet with 2 pulls in 10 seconds.
35 lb bucket raised 25 feet with 20 pulls in 10 seconds.

Obviously, a lighter bucket can go farther in the same 10 seconds, using the same rotational Force (torque).

Torque is grunt rotational power. The ability to turn the pulley (or turn tires in your case). In essence, the power of the combustion event in the cylinder head transferred to the crank.

HP is a function of torque (Google equation) .... but doesn't mean much for getting the 220 lb bucket up in a timely fashion. But works better for the 35 lb bucket.
If you want to lift the 220 lb bucket faster..... you add more guys (torque) to pull in quicker intervals. ......
[ that's the idea behind more engine cylinders (2 pulls vs 20 pulls in 10 seconds) .... Like 2 ignition combustion events vs 20 in one revolution ].

NOS, superchargers, power adders, etc ... Are using guys on steroids.

Transmission/axle gearing, that's changing the pulley size (think 10 speed bike).

I'm not educated in cams, so my thoughts are generalizations.
Your want for "Biggest" can mean several different things when it comes to cam specs (lift, duration, overlap, separation, etc ). Each of those things perform differently (ie: hp, tq, rpm range, lope, etc). And all those things are interconnected. Increase one, you lose on another.
Getting the right cam means determining what you want to do. Low rpm torque, high rpm horsepower, lopey idle, rpm range of use, etc. You can't have the "biggest" in each category. Doesn't work that way.

So... more torque is what you seem to be wanting (lifted truck & turning larger off-road tires).
Probably, lower rpm torque for off-roading ... i.e. RV cam (recreational vehicle) getting that heavy RV camper pig going from a dead stop and keeping it going while cruising (wind resistance).

So.... Long story short: Yeah, you should care about towing (in regards to cam specs) when adding larger wheels/tires.

Or do you just want a lopey cam that sounds good? . Lol.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have zero input on this, but bugdewde's comment reminded me of a joke.

A man is pulling a rope across the ground, walking to his garage.
His friend says, "Hey man, why are you pulling that rope?"
He responds, "You ever tried to push one?"

Sorry, I'm still working on my dad jokes.