Cam installation Vortec 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be reinstalling the cam on my Vortec big block tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out how to "sync" the cam and crank. I know the engine needs to be rotated to #1 tdc but after that, I've reached the limits of my mechanical know-how. Once the engine is at tdc for #1, how do I position the cam and install the cam sprocket in relation to the timing marks on the cam and crank sprockets? Help/guidance is appreciated.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Both gears will have a mark. They should meet at TDC. Install both gears with chain this way, rotating the cam as needed to achieve this, then rotate the crank 2 full turns and verify the marks still line up. If they don't, repeat this until they do.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both gears will have a mark. They should meet at TDC. Install both gears with chain this way, rotating the cam as needed to achieve this, then rotate the crank 2 full turns and verify the marks still line up. If they don't, repeat this until they do.

I'm a little slow mechanically speaking and I'm not sure how to get all this done. So regardless of the position of the cam now, (after being reinstalled) , rotating the crank til the marks meet (crank sprocket mark pointing up, cam sprocket mark pointing down), once they're lined up #1 should be at tdc?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I'm a little slow mechanically speaking and I'm not sure how to get all this done. So regardless of the position of the cam now, (after being reinstalled) , rotating the crank til the marks meet (crank sprocket mark pointing up, cam sprocket mark pointing down), once they're lined up #1 should be at tdc?

No that is #6 TDC.