Cam Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, I have seen some kits that come with the cam, springs, and ROCKERS, still deciding on a cam would like it to be a one and done deal so I wont have to screw with it again. (Still taking suggestions on that) (not like we are dealing with servers and domain controller issues eh wagon? ;) )

Again, I don't know about these engines, but the LS rockers have a weakness in the trunion so a lot of people replace them for non-performance reasons. When I did the cam in my GTO I picked up a cam, springs, and pushrods kit all together. My advice on selecting the cam, if you were in a car, I'd say pick what you want, then go one cam bigger, because you're in a truck, the same logic doesn't apply because you're looking for more bottom end, so trust your judgement. Basically the bigger the cam (and I'm over simplifying here) the higher the powerband will be. When I say "big" I'm talking duration, not lift. Just be sure that the cam you choose matches your goals. Do your reasearch (then do some more) before you slap down the cash.

And yeah, this isn't exactly IT.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a really big cam will give you more mid to high range but is gonna kill your low end tq at the same time.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
For Vortec heads they can only support up to .470-.480 lift stock, but with new beehive style springs and Comp 787 retainers you can get up to .525 lift without having to do any machine work to the heads. The springs I would go with would be ls6 springs http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12499224/ they're good beehive springs for a good price. Then go with 1.5 roller rockers or just stick with the stock rockers. The cam I would use is the Lunati 60120 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60120/ I've heard a lot of great things about the Lunati voodoo lobe shape. Good luck!

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep your 1.5 rockers and if you'd like a little more lift after the cam swap, you can go out and get the 1.6 rockers, if your heads can handle the added lift that is. For the most part you can reuse your lifters and push rods. Check out CompCam's website for selection of cams for your desired application. They have at least 5 or 6 that are designed to work in the 1,000-1,500 to 5,000-6,000 RPM range.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
If you're on a budget I just took a set of LS1 springs out of the heads going on my 5.3l, I was told 12K miles on them, and the heads look like it. They're good out to .525 lift, (not as good as the LS6 springs) as long as the ramp rate isn't crazy. I'll sell em to ya cheap if you want em.

That said, I would make sure they're an appropriate pair to the cam you choose before I'll sell em to ya. lol

Also if you don't plan to do a lot of towing, consider a stall. Once you stall you can go with a bigger cam because the power made below your stall speed becomes a lot less important.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That seems like a nice cam but that's kind of expensive. You could get an Erson custom grind for less then that.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Damn... new cams are only 200 in these things? not bad.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info wagon... I am still checking around, waiting to hear back from a few places as well. I will let you know on the rockers if this other deal doesn't fall threw...

As far as the custom grind is concerned, I would have to give themm my specifications or do they tailor for me once I give them my engine and rocker specs?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
For custom grinds you can just tell them your engine specs and what you're going to use the truck for and they will work with you to come up with something that will work best for you