Cab insulation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has insulated their cab (roof, doors, cab floor, pretty much the whole inside) and what there thoughts were on the subject. Any brands you have worked with or recommend? I really want to insulate the cab because when I go to the desert My wife takes my truck and meets me and the boys at different spots to resupply the riding group with beer, snacks, water, etc., the truck does not retain much AC in the summer and heat in the winter.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I've seen a video of a dude using a layer of Mylar coated bubble wrap stuff, followed by a layer of yoga mat type material, and then I another layer of Mylar bubble wrap (all after gutting the interior). Seems like that would work nicely...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had good results in my red truck with Dynamat, however I'm sure some of the cheaper alternatives would work fine as well.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We did the interior of our stepside, doors, floor, pillars roof, everything except where the dash bolts to the cab. We used the double sided mylar/bubble wrap insulation used for ducts as well as foil lined tape at every cut. The truck is satin black with tinted windows and it did make a big difference.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of on a different note but still very related, what condition are your door seals and weather strips in? I ask because I really have no issues retaining heat or cold in either of my trucks. Makes me think you may have some air leaks.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I will be looking at the suggestions you all have made. And for the door and window seals I ordered replacements yesterday so those will be going on the truck in the next few weeks. As well as the widows are going to be tinted.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I did the whole interior of my '97. Next to the Hurst/Core shifter, one of the best things I've done to the truck!
65-70% of road noise comes from the doors.
On the inside of the outer door skin, I did 3, 6" wide strips of 'FatMat' followed by a second layer that covered the whole skin.
Doing the 3 strips first helps to kill any panel resonance. Always do an uneven number of strips. 3, 5, 7, whatever.
Then that stupid 2nd panel in the doors was covered on the outside. (Don't cover up those vents in the bottom of the doors!)
This was followed up with a 3rd layer on the inside of the plastic door panel. My door pins hate me!
I did the roof the same way. 3 strips followed up with a full covering.
The floor has the strips, (3 on each side) then a full covering, followed up with 2 layers of 1/8" closed cell foam. 2 layers because it forms to the floor better than 1 layer of 1/4". This has the rubber flooring with the underlay over top of that.
The back wall was once again done in strips first (5) with 2 layers of FatMat, & a layer of 3/8" closed cell foam, followed up with the factory carpet.
I also put a layer of the FatMat under the 'A' pillar plastic.
What a dif! No more random creaks & rattles. Heater seems to be more efficient. Stereo sounds way better! The truck feels more solid rollin' down the road. @ 60mph., I can have a Harley beside me runnin' shotguns, roll up the windows & I can carry on a normal conversation.
Like I said, one of THE best things I've done to the truck!

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you guys keep finding great things for me to spend money on? Lol

Al, do you have a ballpark cost on what you spent?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
IIRC, I used about 2, maybe 2.5 rolls of the FatMat. A C/L find. I bought 4 rolls (2 in a case) for $300.00. The closed-cell I bought on Ebay. Maybe another $150.00.
I did it in stages when I got the time. It's my DD so I did all I could before it got to the point where I had to start taking the interior out.
Doors were first, then the roof & the A pillars. I did the back wall with the seat in. Would of been easier with it out!
Doing the floor required some time, so while the seat & flooring was out, I also added to the stereo system. An under seat slim line sub + the amp & a general cleanup of all the rest of the stereo's wiring.
Start to finish, the floor took about 6 hours from the time I opened the doors to start, to driving it outa the shop, done
The doors were the biggest PitA, of course! I did them one at a time, just because! If you've had these doors apart before, you know why! Lol!

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did 5 of the 36 sq ft boxes on my single cab, some spots double layered, inside and outside door skins, and up the pods in the back of the wall (was pleasantly cut up from cramming my arm in) filled the pods full of jute, dynamated it closed, and laid down 2 layers of 1/4" foam padding floor and back wall, was just what i had available, and replaced my rubber floor liner with carpet, and between that and double 5% i can freeze me out, and i like it cold.