Cab corners, fu3k.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think there is fine iron filings in jb weld that will rust from the back side and leach to the front pretty fast , I hope not , but I think i'd rethink this repair and would use kitty hair or everglass filler or something fiberglass like that will work . You have a very nice truck there by the way !

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think there is fine iron filings in jb weld that will rust from the back side and leach to the front pretty fast , I hope not , but I think i'd rethink this repair and would use kitty hair or everglass filler or something fiberglass like that will work . You have a very nice truck there by the way !
I would have never thought about JB Weld if my co worker hadnt done it before and told me about it. Regular JB weld doesnt have metal in it, but there is one that does. My coworker used the one with metal as a filler. He wanted the repair to pull a magnate once it was done. As for the rust, well repairing rusted metal for a living for 25 years when I was welding on offshore oil rigs, one of the first things I learned is, rust needs oxygen to form. If the repair is sealed from both sides, it can not rust. I found a rubber grommet on the back side of the cab corner yesterday. I should be able to get behind the repair, and treet the metal, seal in in. The outside will be primed and painted, so it will be sealed there. So even if Im wrong about metal being in JB weld, it wont matter, because it will be sealed in from both sides and oxygen will not be able to get in and form rust. Thanks for your reply though, and thanks for the comp on my truck. I take it to the car shows almost every weekend.

Last edited:

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For foams, I prefer this:

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.c...lATiNnIMeh2iSdMFn9ZV9xp_1IREXiowaAgyLEALw_wcB

You can also buy 4lb foam in bulk from US Composites or a few other companies online and use something like this:

https://www.perigeedirect.com/products/200ml-6-7oz-empty-1-1-ratio-2-part-cartridge-pistons

After having the interior gutted (89' C2500 standard cab). I found there's a full inner and outer roof skin (not outer sheet metal with a brace running across like most other cars I've worked on). There's also four drains of sorts, down the back to the cab corners, and then down the a pillars to the kick panels and out. I'd guess drains for the condensation as there was a fair bit of rust in-between the two roof skins.

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never put spray foam in a rocker panel. It will hold moisture and cause rust. Kitty hair filler would have been a little better. The jb weld should hold up fine. Just sand the shiny pits before putting any fillers over it.

Also I have noticed heat from the welder seems to make rust come back quicker. I don't know how really to explain it but make sure if you patch something you cut the area a lot larger than it needs to be because of rust on back of the metal.

drbizerk

Reaction score
I was planning to weld in corners when I was doing body work but went the easy way out and used fiberglass hairs after removing the rust. Then sanded, filler, ....you know the rest.
Water got in from my ext cab windows not sealing up completely and rusted mine out. There is some sound deadening glued to the inside panel that holds water which explains the holes up higher.