Cadb corners and rockers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 91 short box.

My driver's side cab corner is starting to get soft; looks like from the inside out. The rest of the truck is MINT (Frame, rockers, etc.) I live in NY and it came from the south. I want to wash it and put it in the garage.

So, my only concern is this: if I store it in my garage clean, is it possible for the rust to spread to the rockers? I sprayed A LOT of Open Gear Lube up in the small hole that formed in the corner from the rust.

I plan on getting this fixed next year.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really, your best bet is to remove the rust. Since your going to have it fixed anyway, later, go ahead and knock out the soft metal, and remove all of the rust you can. Then, you can get in there, and treat the area with a rust inhibitor. Then store the truck for however long you want to. The cab corners do rust from the inside out, on our trucks. I had a very small spot on mine that was soft, about the size of a dime. It was only the bottom hole, and there was no hole there, it was just a soft spot. After fooling with it, the other 2 places popped up. I did manage to repair them after I treated the area for rust, from the inside, with a small brush, then fill them, sand them, and paint the area, all without removing the bed. Today, the repair is undetectable. At first, the color was just a tad off, but that's BC the paint was new. Now, it blend's perfectly.

Attachments

• 20210525_194250.jpg
    20210525_194250.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210530_131433.jpg
    20210530_131433.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210609_193135.jpg
    20210609_193135.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210611_200747.jpg
    20210611_200747.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 11

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Really, your best bet is to remove the rust. Since your going to have it fixed anyway, later, go ahead and knock out the soft metal, and remove all of the rust you can. Then, you can get in there, and treat the area with a rust inhibitor. Then store the truck for however long you want to. The cab corners do rust from the inside out, on our trucks. I had a very small spot on mine that was soft, about the size of a dime. It was only the bottom hole, and there was no hole there, it was just a soft spot. After fooling with it, the other 2 places popped up. I did manage to repair them after I treated the area for rust, from the inside, with a small brush, then fill them, sand them, and paint the area, all without removing the bed. Today, the repair is undetectable. At first, the color was just a tad off, but that's BC the paint was new. Now, it blend's perfectly.

Thank you.

What is a good rust inhibitor? POR-15?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ospho, if you can find it. Navel jell will work, or a knock off N J. Por 15 will work, if you already have it. Most rust inhibitors kind of smell like battery acid. There is a mild acid in them. I have used one from O'Rileys that is in a spray can, but you don't want the one that is more of a primer, than a true rust inhibitor. Once treated, and it sits a few hours, then metal should turn black, not be primed black as you apply. If you look at the first pic I posted in my other reply, you can see the bottle of rust inhibitor I used. It was a lock tight brand, and it worked fine. My wife got it at Walmart. I have also used the one in a spray can, and it also does a good job. I'm not sure exactly what lock tight one it was but either one should be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20221110_075513350.jpg
    IMG_20221110_075513350.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20221110-080256.png
    Screenshot_20221110-080256.png
    560.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20221110-080222.png
    Screenshot_20221110-080222.png
    677.7 KB · Views: 4

FrankieD61

Reaction score
So, basically, knock out the rusty cab corner, use the rust inhibitor, store it for the winter, and I should be good as far as the rust spreading?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, basically, knock out the rusty cab corner, use the rust inhibitor, store it for the winter, and I should be good as far as the rust spreading?
Yes, but if there is rust that you can't see, and don't treat, that will spread.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Will the rust still spread even if water and salt don't get up in there?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Will the rust still spread even if water and salt don't get up in there?
No. Thing is, you can't see what's in there, to start with. What happens is, the protective coating, ( paint, or what ever) brakes down in time. Then the raw metal, is exposed to the atmosphere. Metal starts has iron, and other chemicals in it. Basically rust, and it wants to return to it's original state. With no protection, iron, or steel in this case, will rust. So to say that no, this won't rust, or yes this will, all depends on wether the steel has a protective coating on it or not. It takes 3 things for rust to form, iron, water, and oxygen. Remove any of these, and there will be no rust. Paint, locks out air, and water, so no rust. Most coatings will block out air, and water, but primer is porous, and will let in air, and moisture. A product like POR&15 is another coating that locks out air, and moisture.