C3500 diesel vs 454… towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, with the way things have been looking the past several years, I’m starting to lean towards a C3500 454 4x4 truck for a future build, and slowly starting to dislike the idea of a duramax swap or even a stock 6.5 diesel truck. A big reason is for the price of diesel sky-rocketing as well as the common consensus that the 454s were awesome if you didn’t mind the gas mileage. I would like to have one of these trucks simply for towing a race car trailer, not frequent use and definitely not a daily. Keeping it put away and keeping miles off of it. I was also looking at Chevrolet performance HT502 crate engine and wondered if it would be an easy drop in to a tired 454 truck?

Just curious what you guys think if a diesel is worth the hype if the 454 is sufficient? Even compared to a duramax swap??

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you'd be way ahead of the game to start with a 454 that isn't tired and just use it as-is. Do you really have a need for an HT502 or a Duramax swap?

BTW C3500 would be 2WD. K3500 is 4WD. That's how the nomenclature works

Richard
Yea My bad I knew that the 4WD trucks are the K series I was just in a hurry while posting this lol. But no you don’t “need” a HT502 but I’m talking about a full build I would like to do and just something I thought would be cool. It’s not a very expensive crate engine just wondered how “plug and play” it is (or maybe isn’t) lol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
First question is what will you be towing? If it's 5,000# open deck you may be able to eek out better economy with a 6.5. Will it be worth it? Good question, plus the 6.5 has its share of issues. All a 454 does is pound gas and sometimes eat a cam. Stock, at least crew cab dually, is a nutless turd. Funny thing though, put a modest trailer behind it and not much changes. A free flowing exhaust and a tune is a must for the 454. I've been blown away by the stock cooling system for such an old truck. Mine gets warm, but it never gets hot, and I run it heavy.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First question is what will you be towing? If it's 5,000# open deck you may be able to eek out better economy with a 6.5. Will it be worth it? Good question, plus the 6.5 has its share of issues. All a 454 does is pound gas and sometimes eat a cam. Stock, at least crew cab dually, is a nutless turd. Funny thing though, put a modest trailer behind it and not much changes. A free flowing exhaust and a tune is a must for the 454. I've been blown away by the stock cooling system for such an old truck. Mine gets warm, but it never gets hot, and I run it heavy.
I would plan on using this for a 32-38 foot enclosed trailer with racecar and pit cart, or a large 5th wheel camper.. this is all just hypothetical and for sake of conversation. I find myself falling down many rabbit holes thinking “what would be really cool” so this is me validating my thoughts with experts lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would plan on using this for a 32-38 foot enclosed trailer with racecar and pit cart, or a large 5th wheel camper.. this is all just hypothetical and for sake of conversation. I find myself falling down many rabbit holes thinking “what would be really cool” so this is me validating my thoughts with experts lol

You're gonna want headers and maybe a little cam. Where do you live? Any hills, wind, or elevation?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
See pics on post #4484, daily truck pics. This dually is a 93 with 454 and according to the owner/driver, he's hauled this trailer all over the country with it for several years. Didn't get to ask him about any mods or look under the hood ( he was moving in for a week and by the time we got caught up with work after our Austin trip/long weekend, he'd moved on). He did tell me it was a very capable truck,on flat ground he hardly knows the trailer is there. Said it got up the big bridges on I 10 well, he'd come from Florida.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
See pics on post #4484, daily truck pics. This dually is a 93 with 454 and according to the owner/driver, he's hauled this trailer all over the country with it for several years. Didn't get to ask him about any mods or look under the hood ( he was moving in for a week and by the time we got caught up with work after our Austin trip/long weekend, he'd moved on). He did tell me it was a very capable truck,on flat ground he hardly knows the trailer is there. Said it got up the big bridges on I 10 well, he'd come from Florida.

Which brings up another good question: what are OP's expectations when towing? 80mph on the interstate all the time? Or go with what the truck wants to do? I will say in the flatter bits of CA I was basically free to pick a speed with the 24' enclosed but through the wind and hills I kept it at 70 to have enough to maintain speed without a downshift.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am working on a 488 build with similar objectives. I know it will drink fuel, but should have good torque and move things well. 502 crate is a good starting point. I went with a build that cost about the same but better heads/cam/lifters for a close enough size. Stock intake is going to take a lot of the gains away and will need work to get at least some out of it. Boost is the answer then