C3500 diesel vs 454… towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
He's saying to swap in an older Detroit Diesel 2-stroke; I.e; 453T, 653. You can then run used motor oil and all that kind of stuff.
Interesting swap idea, not very practical, but interesting.
Not very practical? Not at all practical. :D

This guy's truck has gone from insane to just surreal. I remember when it was in its early stages, haven't followed it very closely, but this video is crazy. It seems like a lot of weight for any C1500, but definitely a lot of weight on a bagged one; the truck kind of bobs and wobbles as he goes down the road. Still looks like a lot of fun.

4-53 twin turbo Detroit diesel in a bagged, chopped '89 C1500

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
4-53t's have been swapped into pickups. There's at least a few swaps that have been done and kept most of the rest of the truck stock. There's a Detroit expert in Canada that has one in a Superduty. I think Leed Diesel (two stroke shop) has a GMC or Chevy with one swapped in.

I owned a 6v53 for about a month, but it was in an Intenrational Cargo Star ( or Pay Star?) and had a 5th wheel plate and air brakes, so it was more truck than I really knew what to do with.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

This guy's truck has gone from insane to just surreal. I remember when it was in its early stages, haven't followed it very closely, but this video is crazy. It seems like a lot of weight for any C1500, but definitely a lot of weight on a bagged one; the truck kind of bobs and wobbles as he goes down the road. Still looks like a lot of fun.

Richard

Cool truck for sure, but I don't like his idle set up to chug like that. I also don't like the amount of black smoke it generates. They don't have to do that.

I wonder what he's running for a rear axle.... and WOW 900 lb-ft of torque from 212 cubic inches!

Also wonder about his statement of two blowers. I think the blowers can be attached to either side depending on the requiremtns for the engine application and I guess he chose both sides. I wonder if that really gets him anything besides looks. They're not superchargers on a Detroit.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Richard
That is so dumb. I want it!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool truck for sure, but I don't like his idle set up to chug like that. I also don't like the amount of black smoke it generates. They don't have to do that.

I wonder what he's running for a rear axle.... and WOW 900 lb-ft of torque from 212 cubic inches!

Also wonder about his statement of two blowers. I think the blowers can be attached to either side depending on the requiremtns for the engine application and I guess he chose both sides. I wonder if that really gets him anything besides looks. They're not superchargers on a Detroit.
He said custom, so maybe he fabbed up something?

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
but I don't like his idle set up to chug like that. I also don't like the amount of black smoke it gener
I remember reading that they aren't good to idle very long like the Cummins are, is that true?
Maybe he felt he needed it rich enough to smoke for the amount of boost he's running?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I remember reading that they aren't good to idle very long like the Cummins are, is that true?

I have no idea on that.

Maybe he felt he needed it rich enough to smoke for the amount of boost he's running?

It's my understanding that black smoke is over fueling. It could be that since the fuel injection is mechanical, adjusting the fueling isn't as precise when it needs to be changed for more power/turbos/whatever.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Them old threads, tho...

No diesel likes extended idle time. Detroits in particular get very slobbery and over their lifetime wear significantly faster than 4-cycles when idled extensively.
This guy's setup appears to be intended specifically to smoke a lot. His injectors are way too big, even when the turbos are working. The turbos are too big as well, but hey it isn't a work truck. Stock Detroit 2-cycles had a 'smoke limiter', basically an air shock absorber on the throttle rail to keep it in check until turbo boost comes up enough to use the fuel.
Overall a pretty cool build.