Buying a Tech 2 Clone... Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had one for years and is very useful .yes it’s a clone
But remember it’s old technology
Don’t pay too much for it
Works great for my old 1998 c3500
With 7.4
Brake bleed function works perfect
There are a lot of hard coded things you can not over ride
Hence you will need to have ecm modified/reflashed do delete certain functions
Have fun

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
ABS / SIR / PCM is about all you can access with the Tech2 on these trucks - the Tech2 is a lot more useful for the cars and later (up to 2007) trucks. There's virtually nothing programmable from the T2 on the GMT400s, although it is quite useful for the ABS bleed function and possibly the 2-way comms for the PCM (idle control, crank relearn, etc). Pretty sure I got mine from AliExpress but it's been a while.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
HP Tuners scanner doesn't bleed brakes. But can control idle, so crank relearns, open the EGR valve, open the EVAP purge valve, command gears, disable individual injectors, command tcc lockup, test the SES light, reset LTFT, disable LTFT, etc.
Can control just about everything, even without editing the computer.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and sent in the order last night. it'll probably take awhile to get here which is not too bad. ill let you know how it works out!

Please do, I've been considering getting one for a long time now.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's a pretty good price!
I had been looking for one for a while after passing on one in 2009 (after all the dealerships were closing) - and regretted it, because the following year I bought a Cobalt SS, and could use one of these for that car.
I'm subscribing to this to read of your experience;
The exchange right now for my Canadian "peso" is horrendous (it was recently about $1.50cnd for $1usd, compared to less than $1.10cnd for $1usd not too long ago);
but this seems like a great deal compared to when I was last earnestly looking around.

luconi

Reaction score
Well unfortunately trying to buy from sicotool was a fail.

their website quoted $36 for shipping and the seller contacted me saying he wanted $75 for shipping after I paid... claiming shipping prices have gone up... which is plausible... it sounded fishy to me that they wouldn't honor their shipping. they did refund my paypal payment.

are there any other vendors out there that are recommended?

luconi

Reaction score
Well I went the ebay route this time. I found someone who had a good seller rating.... paid a little more but whatever. lets see what happens.