Buying a Tech 2 Clone... Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luconi

Reaction score
I am going to bite the bullet on a GM tech 2 clone. Has anyone ever purchased one on sicotool.com?

https://www.sicotool.com/best-quali...r-gm-saab-opel-suzuki-isuzu-holden_p0057.html

I did notice in the description that it says it only supports cars... not trucks... I am not sure if that means light duty 12v trucks or 24v heavy duty trucks.

If it will indeed work, is that everything I would need to for bi-directional controls to the ECU/ABS/ETC? or do i need another memory card?

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I got mine from AliExpress if I remember. It says not for trucks for the big rigs trucks. It will work on our trucks.
Be aware that the voltage regulator in the clones is cheapened and has been known to fail before. Not an Issue though because it can be replaced with one similar to the real unit.
Also the clones voltage regulator will drop below the minimum voltage needed to keep the unit on when starting the truck so will immediately reboot. Not an Issue though because not many functions require shut-off and restart. Even if your on AC wall power when you plug in to obdii port the unit is looking at the port B+. I use an interface cable between the port and the unit with the B+ clipped and a little DC to DC converter the maintains 12v out when plugged into the cigarette lighter. You don't need that though, I was having fun with my other hobby which is electronics.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought this one, it had everything needed and works fine. One thing, the last version for the card is 33.004; the one in your link is a previous version though it may work just as well. I couldn’t say what the differences were.

http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/high-quality-gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scanner-1362.html

I haven’t used the ABS bleed on it yet, but see it in the menu options. Other bi-directional controls seem to work.

Shipping was surprisingly quick, maybe a week coming from Singapore.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can those be used to shut off Daytime Running Lights? What is the Secret Procedure?

As far as I know, they're very capable. The guys on the Corvette forum years ago gave them a whirl and were able to add and delete options like TPMS and telescoping steering column.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone here using diagnostic/reset software loaded onto a laptop?
I have Delphi which reads my smart but doesn't do much (anything) for the Suburban. I also have Wurth WOW! but not really getting to grips with it. IIRC it won't open without being connected to the vehicle so as yet don't know what it can do for GM.

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Can-Do bluetooth scan tool. It comes with the adapters for heavy duty trucks. And the 16 pin obd2 for everything else. It has 2 separate apps. one for med/light dut . One for heavy. it was $500 through a Cornwall tool man. Free lifetime updates. I love it. Does everything in them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone here using diagnostic/reset software loaded onto a laptop?
I have Delphi which reads my smart but doesn't do much (anything) for the Suburban. I also have Wurth WOW! but not really getting to grips with it. IIRC it won't open without being connected to the vehicle so as yet don't know what it can do for GM.

There is Tech2Win which emulates a GM Tech2 from a Windows PC, although I've read it can have issues with some bidirectional features the the physical Tech2s and clones don't have. I have no first hand experience with it so I can't say for sure though.