Building up a 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I have a free vortec 5.7 sitting in my garage. My 98 has 185k and runs fine. Is it worth building up the vortec? I dd my truck and pull my sxs weekly

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a free vortec 5.7 sitting in my garage. My 98 has 185k and runs fine. Is it worth building up the vortec? I dd my truck and pull my sxs weekly

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
In all honesty, do the numbers. First see how much power you want and how much you want to spend. Check to see how much it would cost in parts to build the 350, then do a comparison to, let say an LS swap donor vehicle. Once you see things on paper it makes better sense.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Totally depends on what you need or want from it. Rebuild kits can be found cheap and if you do the work the cost is not too bad really. Even swapping in a 0411 for better tuning without a full LS swap is worth it.

If you want 400+hp then look at the LS swap for reliability, easy of modding and tuning. But be ready to spend more on parts.

I have been debating this for a long time and think I'm gonna rebuild a extra 5.7 vortec, toss in a 395 cam, full exhaust and 0411 pcm. It will be a daily driver and sometimes towing. Don't need gobs of power and parts for the vortec are alot cheaper than LS parts. I'll wait to get back in LS stuff until I get another fbody.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Totally depends on what you need or want from it. Rebuild kits can be found cheap and if you do the work the cost is not too bad really. Even swapping in a 0411 for better tuning without a full LS swap is worth it.

If you want 400+hp then look at the LS swap for reliability, easy of modding and tuning. But be ready to spend more on parts.

I have been debating this for a long time and think I'm gonna rebuild a extra 5.7 vortec, toss in a 395 cam, full exhaust and 0411 pcm. It will be a daily driver and sometimes towing. Don't need gobs of power and parts for the vortec are alot cheaper than LS parts. I'll wait to get back in LS stuff until I get another fbody.
"LS" parts can be had for cheap if you know where to look, like local U pull its for iron block 5.3 (LM7) or harder to find 6.0's (LQ4) all have these. Just make sure you get everything from the engine bay like an uncut harness, accessories, brackets, ecu. LS1's are indeed expensive but all parts are interchangeable, to the 5.3 & 6.0. Donor vehicles can be found for as little as less than $1k. A simple LS1 cam and LS1 valve springs (found used on eBay) upgrade really open up these iron blocks for like an extra 30 hp or so. If you want to spend a little more coin, you can have the heads ported too, and you will have well over 400hp. After alot of research I've done, the truck intakes have good flow and even the exhaust manifolds were well designed. When my buddy saw the 5.3 I was building on the engine stand, he is an old school Chevy guy btw, he was like dang, aluminum heads, the exhaust manifolds are like "Shortie headers" they did some good engineering with those motors.

Some people are terrified of the wiring but by doing it yourself, you can make a stand alone harness out of the original harness the engine came with. Reliability, fuel effciency, and tunability is definitely there. Good luck with whatever you chose. [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I meant replacement/maintaince parts once it's up and running, like water pump and what not. Not initial swap parts as complete motors can be had fairly easily. But when buying new parts cost for cost the older stuff is cheaper. But cost is a personal thing, some don't mind spending it and some just can't spend the extra. That's where a person just has to decide what they are willing to spend on their hobby and how far they wanna go with certain vechicles.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I meant replacement/maintaince parts once it's up and running, like water pump and what not. Not initial swap parts as complete motors can be had fairly easily. But when buying new parts cost for cost the older stuff is cheaper. But cost is a personal thing, some don't mind spending it and some just can't spend the extra. That's where a person just has to decide what they are willing to spend on their hobby and how far they wanna go with certain vechicles.
That brother, is no lie !! Replacement parts are not cheap by any means !

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a Vortec 5.7L out of a 98 3500 for my sons 1994 Z71 truck (3.73 gears), using a Performer intake and a throttle body out of a 454 truck (I think they flow around 600cfm) Summit Racing (GM performance cam) shorty headers etc.