Broken manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotabman

Reaction score
okay guys, i went to remove the exhaust manifolds today and all the bolts came out fine except the last two closest to the firewall on the passenger side. both snapped but with a little thread still remaining. i tried drilling them and using a easy out but there is not much room for my drill, and when i did finally get enough drilled out to use easy out the easy out tip snapped into the bolt. i have debated taking the head off (dont really want to do that) or removing the front quarter to get better access (dont want to do that either. best idea i had was to weld a nut on the end and try to get them out that way. has anyone had to deal with this? any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay guys, i went to remove the exhaust manifolds today and all the bolts came out fine except the last two closest to the firewall on the passenger side. both snapped but with a little thread still remaining. i tried drilling them and using a easy out but there is not much room for my drill, and when i did finally get enough drilled out to use easy out the easy out tip snapped into the bolt. i have debated taking the head off (dont really want to do that) or removing the front quarter to get better access (dont want to do that either. best idea i had was to weld a nut on the end and try to get them out that way. has anyone had to deal with this? any ideas?

I'm trying to tackle the same issue on my 2005 tahoe. If I had a welder, I'd weld a nut on there like you mentioned. Failing that, I went on Amazon, grabbed some nuts that matched the studs and a few stainless steel pins. Drill a hole through one side of the nut, thread onto the stud, drill hole through stud, insert pin, and pull out with socket and ratchet. Failing that, you can inch out turn by turn with a set of locking pliers, but depending on the rust, that might be a no-go.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you will find it easier to weld a large flat washer to the stud then weld the OD of a nut to the washer.
You will get a better weld to the stud with a washer instead of welding down thru the center of the nut.
I use some toilet bowl wax on the block after welding and let it cool to room temp before trying to turn it.
The wax wicks into the threads, I use it to remove block plugs also.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eleven bolts hold an Inline Six Popper Trailblazer exhaust manifold to the head. I got lucky, only two broke. Often it's way more than two.

The bolts are held in with threadlocker, so even when they're loose, they turn out hard. And of course GM uses bolts that aren't strong enough. GM bolts are Grade 9.8, aftermarket bolts are 10.9.

The two bolts on the right side have nuts welded to the broken studs. There's a thread-restoring/cleaning tap in the background.

dakotabman

Reaction score
okay may try the washer first, i may only have access to a chepo harbor freight welder. i read somewhere that those wont work very well and nut will snap of with little force.. any truth to this?

dakotabman

Reaction score
Eleven bolts hold an Inline Six Popper Trailblazer exhaust manifold to the head. I got lucky, only two broke. Often it's way more than two.

The bolts are held in with threadlocker, so even when they're loose, they turn out hard. And of course GM uses bolts that aren't strong enough. GM bolts are Grade 9.8, aftermarket bolts are 10.9.

The two bolts on the right side have nuts welded to the broken studs. There's a thread-restoring/cleaning tap in the background.

glad to see this worked for you, any tips? this will be my last chance if i dont get them out i will have to take the head off.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
okay may try the washer first, i may only have access to a chepo harbor freight welder. i read somewhere that those wont work very well and nut will snap of with little force.. any truth to this?

Dont use a 110v flux core booger shooter. You'll never get the heat needed to hold the nut on. If you have any access to 220v a cheap AC/DC stick welder will get your broke bolts out and 90% of anything you'll need in the future.

If you dont have any 220v plugs in your garage, its real easy to wire up if you have any spaces left in your circuit breaker box

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad to see this worked for you, any tips? this will be my last chance if i dont get them out i will have to take the head off.
One broken bolt, I welded a nut to it and it turned right out. The other, broke off flush. I had to glob weld onto the stud to have enough metal to hang a nut on. Then I welded about a dozen nuts to the glob before I got one to stick well enough to turn out the stud. Eleven nuts broke right off, the last one held.

Use a swivel socket to remove the manifold bolts. Any side-pressure on them and they break. The swivel socket largely prevents side-pressure.

If you're installing a replacement manifold, have a local machine shop check it for flatness, plane the manifold as needed.

ANTISEIZE

Brass nuts on the manifold studs where the exhaust pipe attaches.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you dont have any 220v plugs in your garage, its real easy to wire up if you have any spaces left in your circuit breaker box
I've made my own 220V outlet by running 2 extension cords to 2 different outlets whose circuit breakers were on different sides of the breaker box. Then I wired the hot and ground wires of each to my 220V outlet. I did this just to try out a shaper's (for making molding) power feed and main motors. I wouldn't suggest doing this as a permanent solution.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've made my own 220V outlet by running 2 extension cords to 2 different outlets whose circuit breakers were on different sides of the breaker box. Then I wired the hot and ground wires of each to my 220V outlet. I did this just to try out a shaper's (for making molding) power feed and main motors. I wouldn't suggest doing this as a permanent solution.

I knew another guy in college that did something like that in his dorm room..... I think he had an extension cord with two male plugs :grd:

I don't recall why he did it.

I too have had an issue with not enough power for a welder.... I broke a bed bolt, and my cousin was trying to run his welder off of 120v and I kept snapping the nut right off the broken bolt, hence my bed is only held on with 7 bolts, now. I'll admit, neither one of us had experience doing what we were doing, so there could have been other contributing factors.