Broken Hood latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my 91 Silverado was parked over winter, and the hood opened fine then. This year went to open it and pulling the cable sounds like it's doing something, but nothing happens. Tried putting pressure down on the front of the hood, tried lifting up some, neither worked. Looks like the hood is too low, the fender tops are higher, and because of that I can't reach the driver side bolt to take out. Any ideas here?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, but if you somehow need to move the hood around a little, you can attempt what I did when I adjusted mine to high into the catch and it got stuck on the hook. Where the cowl vent is, there are end caps with a phillips head screw holding each one on, removing those faux vent caps gives access to rear hinge bolts, removing those bolts let me lift up on rear of hood and shift around enough that with someone pulling the handle in/out constantly it finally popped the hood. Mine's a 95, I'm guessing it works the same way as your's, except different interior handles.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had that problem. Spray some PB Blaster or penetrating oil onto the latching mechanism and let it sit for a while. Have someone pull the handle a bunch of times or hold it out while you try and jostle the hood around a bit and break it loose. Once you have it open, clean and lube the latch.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I had that problem. Spray some PB Blaster or penetrating oil onto the latching mechanism and let it sit for a while. Have someone pull the handle a bunch of times or hold it out while you try and jostle the hood around a bit and break it loose. Once you have it open, clean and lube the latch.

Yeah, this is great info....also, up to you on what kind of grease/protectorant to use, but on hinges/latches/key locks etc, I've used both standard grease and also lithium grease, both work better than metal-on-metal.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was having this problem, but i just soaked the latch in penetrating oil and moved it back and forth a few times, now it pops up no problem!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, most times the "catch" surface of the hook in the latch gets rough and when hood is adjusted so it closes too tight, "bar" on the hood gets stuck on the hook and won't let the hook retract. When ya get it free, adjust the latch mechanism upwards about 1/16" to 1/8" and then re-align hood to fenders with the rubber bump-stops.