Brief write up about removing dash/heater box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't actually have a write up, but I would warn anyone that the plastic tabs are probably going to break. I have worked on a different 1990 truck interior and a 92 Camaro, and GM was really at a low point with regard to the quality of their interiors in the 1990s.

Expect to break some plastic.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to eventually. May be best to invest in a plastic welding kit.
I took mine apart for wire harness repair and cause I suspected the evap core was clogged full of mouse nest. 100% correct assumption. Not only mouse nest, but moldy dirt was completely sealing off the evap core. No chance of any air getting through that core.

So yes. After 35 years, we are going to have to pull **** apart.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to eventually. May be best to invest in a plastic welding kit.
^^FAX^^

I should have bought one many years ago.

Dash repair on the c1500
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GMT400 dash refurb details
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a big job to pull the dash, but I really had to. The main harness got damaged somehow...maybe mice. I think you could replace the heater core and evap core without removing the heater box. Once I had the dash out though, it seemed easier to pull the box out to change the cores. The box had a mouse nest and smells like pee so I will be able to clean the box with some bleach water too.

Attachments

• 20230614_051834.jpg
    20230614_051834.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 21