Dash swap goof up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well guys apparently I spoke too soon, it’s not fixed. So my some light will not shut off, but I’m thinking that’s nothing to do with my current problem. When I put a new fuse in for parking lamps and I turn them on it blows instantly. Ideas?

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a neat trick I was taught what seems like eons ago by an older auto tech. Instead of wasting fuses while looking for a short, use a headlight bulb instead. Attach a wire to the ground pin of the bulb. Attach another wire to either the hi or lo beam pin (doesn't matter which), then plug those wires into the fuse slots. When you turn on your switch, instead of popping a fuse, the headlight will illuminate and stay lit. Start your search, and when the short has been removed, the light will go out. this will save a little expense of purchasing a lot of fuses

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a neat trick I was taught what seems like eons ago by an older auto tech. Instead of wasting fuses while looking for a short, use a headlight bulb instead. Attach a wire to the ground pin of the bulb. Attach another wire to either the hi or lo beam pin (doesn't matter which), then plug those wires into the fuse slots. When you turn on your switch, instead of popping a fuse, the headlight will illuminate and stay lit. Start your search, and when the short has been removed, the light will go out. this will save a little expense of purchasing a lot of fuses
I've never used this on automotive work but I do it frequently when troubleshooting old pinball machines. :) a 100W 120V bulb in a porcelain base, with alligator clips to to hook it to the fuse holder. Works like a champ. Dead short = light bulb glows dimly and doesn't let the smoke out of the circuit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Be careful with that. A headlight bulb can pull 7-8 amps. I would use a running light bulb. Small and pulls little amperage so it will work for all the fuses circuits

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get a test light at Harbor Freight for about $4.00 that might be easier to use since it already has a clamp on one end and a probe on the other..

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be good ground obviously the light is on. My bad I wasn’t thinking.
Ok so I checked the ground and there was a little surface rust on the plate it screws too, I cleaned it up then I put a new 20a fuse in and when I turned the parking lights on, it popped the fuse? Any ideas what to check for?
For future reference, the ground screw in the dome light assembly is for the map lights. The actual dome light grounds through the door pin switches or the dimmer switch.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never used this on automotive work but I do it frequently when troubleshooting old pinball machines. :) a 100W 120V bulb in a porcelain base, with alligator clips to to hook it to the fuse holder. Works like a champ. Dead short = light bulb glows dimly and doesn't let the smoke out of the circuit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

There is no way 12v DC will light up a 120v AC bulb.