Brakes for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Please cite some examples of this ^^^

I just checked RockAuto and looked at pads for a 1998 K1500 Suburban w/JB6, and I see lots of letters for the "369" series of pads:

- RAYBESTOS MGD369MH
- RAYBESTOS SSD369
- RAYBESTOS MGD369CH
- WAGNER ZD369
- BENDIX SBM369
- BOSCH BE369H
- WAGNER MX369
- ACDELCO 17D369CH
- BOSCH BP369

Here's a Hawk pad for a truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they come up in the part numbers but they are ink stamped? on the friction material itself.

Here's a Hawk pad for a truck.

It was suggested @92k2500454 buy and install more aggressive friction. How should he do so? How does one determine this before purchase?

Just for grins, I checked the pictures of some pads on RockAuto's site and the pads show no markings (...just to make sure I wasn't overlooking something).

@Supercharged111, thanks for the link to the Motor Trend story.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was suggested @92k2500454 buy and install more aggressive friction. How should he do so? How does one determine this before purchase?

Unfortunately you don't unless you can get eyes on the pads/shoes in person or have someone send you a picture.

Here's an older thread I made when I was considering some EBC pads for one of my trucks. Spoiler alert, I didn't end up using the EBCs. Discussion about the friction codes starts on page 5.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/ebc-yellowstuff-brake-pads-worth-it.47903/

There's a few good pad/shoe choices mentioned in there. The most aggressive pad that I could find for the front of my trucks (JB5 and JB6 brakes respectively) were the Raybestos Element3, part number EHT369H. They were GG code when I bought them, current production are even more aggressive at HH. The most aggressive shoes I could use were only FF, but apparently there are some GG options that will fit some of these trucks.

Here's a link to a PDF file with some more info about the two letter DOT friction codes and the testing process used to assign them.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=294882&d=1317139243

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I think ZZ pads/shoes fire a spike into the pavement with a chain attached to the frame of the vehicle!

Momma's Astro hurt me the other day. Momma hammered the brakes from about 10 mph to miss somebody running a stop sign. Just about knocked the wind out of me with the seat belt. I think the Summit pads on her van are a GG

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can someone post a link to the brake pad number/letter designations?

I really don't know what all that stuff means...:confused:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately you don't unless you can get eyes on the pads/shoes in person or have someone send you a picture.

Here's an older thread I made when I was considering some EBC pads for one of my trucks. Spoiler alert, I didn't end up using the EBCs. Discussion about the friction codes starts on page 5.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/ebc-yellowstuff-brake-pads-worth-it.47903/

There's a few good pad/shoe choices mentioned in there. The most aggressive pad that I could find for the front of my trucks (JB5 and JB6 brakes respectively) were the Raybestos Element3, part number EHT369H. They were GG code when I bought them, current production are even more aggressive at HH. The most aggressive shoes I could use were only FF, but apparently there are some GG options that will fit some of these trucks.

Here's a link to a PDF file with some more info about the two letter DOT friction codes and the testing process used to assign them.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=294882&d=1317139243

Power stop bonded rear semi metallic shoes are GG. I thought GG was as high as they went. My road race pads blow the doors off of anything we put on our trucks, I've never checked to see what they're rated at and the freshies I put on a week ago have already gotten hot so if it was there, it's gone now.

92k2500454

Reaction score
The brake pad and rotors checked out and they are good. I think what I’m going to do as someone mentioned is to add the nbs master cylinder (watched some videos and looks super easy to do). I also am thinking to add the braided stainless steel brake lines but I’m having trouble finding the right match for my vehicle. I’m guessing those are pretty easy to change out ?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The brake pad and rotors checked out and they are good.

Existing and being good are 2 different things.

The NBS master will only make things less bad. Hydroboost is the only thing going to get that truck stopped. That and some good pads and shoes. I was in a pinch and put Napa semi-metallic on the front of my 1500 and they fvcin suck. They're probably right on par with what's on your truck.