Ambient temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twebuh

Reaction score
Weird question but, I see on parts sites and AllData that we have Ambient temp sensors. I cannot find it for the life of me. I wouldnt think these trucks would have that sensor but ive been wrong before. It says its supposed to be behind the grill but i see nothing.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird question but, I see on parts sites and AllData that we have Ambient temp sensors. I cannot find it for the life of me. I wouldnt think these trucks would have that sensor but ive been wrong before. It says its supposed to be behind the grill but i see nothing.

Yup, mounted on the hood latch support, on my 1998 anyway, where it senses temp for the display built into the rear view mirror.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Greetings twebuh,

I scanned the '99 FSM .pdf file, and first found the removal and replacement guidance for this sensor:

You must be registered for see images attach

Elsewhere, I discovered in the wiring diagrams that this temp signal is handled by electrical circuit #735.
Rescanning for all instances of '735' I subsequently discovered that this signal is sent to the top
of the line 'Auto Day/Night' rearview mirror:

You must be registered for see images attach

So the answer is A) Yes it exists, but B) Only in the fully optioned luxo versions.
You are in good company, for no doubt the chore truck won't have any traces of this behind the radiator grill either. :0)

FWIW --

Last edited:

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm always on the lookout for that setup at the yard. I've got a compass-only mirror from the truck I parted out but the job doesn't seem like one you'd want to do more than once.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ambient is like static or stationary. Outside air temp. Or OAT. The sensor looks like a lot like a wire termination. My Tahoe has it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
*If equipped with the compass and temperature display mirror. Some are just compass, some have.. just a mirror.

Richard