Brake problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Kids these days. :gr_grin: When I started wrenching, nothing I owned was even available with disc brakes. Four wheel drum, baby!

Richard

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey OP... you mentioned Texas.... where bouts are you... if your anywhere near Lagrange TX let me know...I'd be glad to give yah a hand if yah need it...

sent from what use to be a great nation...

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drums aren't as hard as they look. While not quite as easy as disc, they're still pretty easy to figure out.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brake light is on due to a locked front drivers side brake caliper. The caliper is siezed and is letting the fluid bypass inside. I am going to replace the caliper.

Now the other question, the brake lights.

I have a 92 GMC that I want to use the brake switch from but it appears to be different from the one in the 91 Chevy. Did GM change the brake switch configuration from 91 to 92?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the brake warning light works. If the combination valve detects major pressure differentials from front to rear, the light comes on. This would be from a leak somewhere in the system, like a hole in a line, a seal blown out, etc.

The calipers generally don't seize up on their own unless severely neglected over a long period of time (lots of water in the system). What is far, far more common, like extremely common, are bad flex hoses causing a restriction in the system and preventing the fluid from returning from the caliper.

Anything you do on the brakes: replace flex hoses, replace calipers, replace pads, etc. you should do on both sides at the same time.

The 91 and 92 brake switch are the same. Same from 88 to 93. But buy a new one. They're cheap.

Richard