Brake problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK here is my scenario:

I have purchased a 1991 chevy Single cab short bed. as pictured below:
You must be registered for see images attach

And I have some issues related to brakes.

1. The parking brake light on the gauge cluster stays on even though the parking brake is not set. How do I resolve this?

2. The brake lights stay on all the time the only way to turn them off is to unplug the taillight wiring harness. How to resolve?

3. THIS ONE IS FOR TEXAS RESIDENTS ONLY Are rear brakes required for Texas safety inspection? Because if they are not I am capping off the rear brake line as this truck has drum brakes on the back.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1. Most likely there's a leak and the combination valve has detected the loss of pressure at one end, resulting in the brake warning light. Find and repair the leak, bleed the system, may need to center and hold down the pin on the combination valve to reset the brake warning light.

2. Switch is bad or misadjusted, or far less likely - brake pedal is not returning fully due to problem in the master cylinder - you can try picking the pedal up with your hand to see if it travels far. Probably the switch though. 88-93 the switch is adjustable, instructions after 3.

3. Yes, and you should have them working anyway. Nothing wrong with drum brakes; they're plenty capable - the only performance advantage discs have is that discs are less susceptible to brake fade under heavy usage. And generally, discs are easier to service. Back to you should have them working - without rear brakes you have a dangerous situation under hard braking, less braking performance (about 30% or so of your stopping power), plus you'll overwork the front brakes and have a tendency to nose-dive.

Brake switch adjustment - check 3rd message in this thread, from Chevytech: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/325352

Richard

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is this valve located at? I was underneath the truck yesterday and I didn't see any obvious leaks.

The last time I fiddled/attempted to fix drum brakes It failed miserably.

I would like to convert to rear disc but all the kits I find have no way in connecting the parking brake cable. (Which IS required for inspection)

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
The combination valve is up near the master cylinder. The master cylinder connects to it and then from it to the RWAL unit.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Item #2 proportioning valve, or also known as combination valve because it has the brake warning light function in it too.

Richard

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the chance of this valve being the culprit of the brake light?

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good. Because the part from rockauto is like $150 with a core fee.

Me and my dad moved the truck with his tractor and upon my examination it feels like the brakes are dragging.
It feels like driving with your foot somewhat on the brake pedal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's the culprit because it's what actually lights up the dash warning light, but that doesn't mean it's the CAUSE. :)

Brakes are pretty important, it sounds like maybe you've not got a lot of experience with them. It may be time to bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic.

Richard

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know disc brakes inside and out but Drum brakes I have zero knowledge about.