Brake light switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Natalie1981

Reaction score
Does anyone know an easier way to get access to the brake light switch on a 1998 Silverado Z71? I need to get it removed so I can put the new switch on but am struggling to remove it from under the dash...

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On a 98 Silverado Z71
It's cramped under the 95-up dashboards but it's not impossible. I've changed out several. The trick is picking a tool that can spread the circular/split style retainer clip. There's a split in the middle of the clip (right where the hole is) - you can get small snap ring pliers in there and spread the clip a tiny bit then slide it off the stud. Some people have luck with a small flat screwdriver. I found snap ring pliers to be more useful. Then push the rear of the body of the switch upwards to unclip it from the rod to the booster, and slide it off the brake pedal stud. Unplugging it from the harness may be a little easier once it's loose as you have a little slack in the harness and can get the switch in both hands to unplug it.

Since you're working in cramped quarters it may help to know what the parts look like - I suspect you already have the new brake switch in hand, but here's a pic showing the side that has the clip that goes over the pushrod:
You must be registered for see images attach

And here's a pic of several retainer clip styles; your '98 should have the circular type at the top of the pic. Note the split in the middle ring; that's where you spread it to slide it off.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Natalie1981

Reaction score
I usually pull the seat out so my girth can be

It's cramped under the 95-up dashboards but it's not impossible. I've changed out several. The trick is picking a tool that can spread the circular/split style retainer clip. There's a split in the middle of the clip (right where the hole is) - you can get small snap ring pliers in there and spread the clip a tiny bit then slide it off the stud. Some people have luck with a small flat screwdriver. I found snap ring pliers to be more useful. Then push the rear of the body of the switch upwards to unclip it from the rod to the booster, and slide it off the brake pedal stud. Unplugging it from the harness may be a little easier once it's loose as you have a little slack in the harness and can get the switch in both hands to unplug it.

Richard
I'll have to go pick up a pair of split ring pliers in the morning and give this a shot. Thank you!!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don't remember what I used on Rawhide, I think it was a small straight screwdriver. Might have been a dental pick, cause I had a couple of them out too. It took awhile to get the clip off, then getting the switch out and the new one in wasn't fun either. I played with the clip a bit and then it just popped into place....as we say in the South, I guess I held my mouth right!
Other than just firing the parts cannon, since these frequently go bad right after the booster unit is replaced, why don't people go ahead and replace the switch while they have everything disassembled?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this Craftsman screwdriver specifically to remove mine. It worked perfectly. There’s a few videos on YouTube that show some literally removing dash to access :nono:. I reached in with this, and clip popped right off. The more difficult part is reinstalling. I couldn’t, but my son with just slightly smaller hand was able to. Assuming you’re a female(Natalie), and your hand just might be able to reach in to re-clip. Hard to explain how, kinda an up and over with hand. For the record, I bought a Dorman kit to replace clip and it broke on install, but I was able to re-tweak original and it snapped back on. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_5093.jpeg
    IMG_5093.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 16