Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Factory match? Looks like a match for an Esky cluster in all its stock glory. As for the sensor? Boo! I forget, were you in the thread where I shared my observations on pan vs case? There is a difference.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I added one of these to my 4L80E pan on my old burb for the trans gauge temp sender, worked great:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Factory match? Looks like a match for an Esky cluster in all its stock glory. As for the sensor? Boo! I forget, were you in the thread where I shared my observations on pan vs case? There is a difference.
Factory match for GM, I've got a picture of a full gauge set I wired in for my brother's 6.5 floating around somewhere; both trucks are going to run the factory match gauges because they look so good.
And no I don't think I recall seeing that thread? Or if I was I didn't see your comparisons at least.
I added one of these to my 4L80E pan on my old burb for the trans gauge temp sender, worked great:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I've got a deep pan with a sender port on order, so my thinking was at least get a reading on it for the time being.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's good. The case doesn't show the wild swings in trans fluid temp when accelerating with an unlocked converter. The case will stay 160-180 while your fluid jumps to 220 or worse. It will also lag on the reading in the instances where the fluid is kept hot for an extended period of time, then gets a chance to cool down. The dually has no trouble running the trans fluid at 220 steady state on the highway. I don't get that on my 1500 at all. It needs a fluid flush and when I do, I'm going to weld a bung into its pan and see what the difference is in fluid temp on it.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's good. The case doesn't show the wild swings in trans fluid temp when accelerating with an unlocked converter. The case will stay 160-180 while your fluid jumps to 220 or worse. It will also lag on the reading in the instances where the fluid is kept hot for an extended period of time, then gets a chance to cool down. The dually has no trouble running the trans fluid at 220 steady state on the highway. I don't get that on my 1500 at all. It needs a fluid flush and when I do, I'm going to weld a bung into its pan and see what the difference is in fluid temp on it.
Do you know where the PID is pulling temps from? Is that what you are using to compare gauge temps with?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know where the PID is pulling temps from? Is that what you are using to compare gauge temps with?

I was comparing the 1500 to the 3500 with the reaction times of the gauges, but I did validate that my 3500 gauge was reading correctly by bumping it against the PCM's reading. It was dead on. PCM has a sensor tied to the harness submerged in the pan, little plastic dealie.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was comparing the 1500 to the 3500 with the reaction times of the gauges, but I did validate that my 3500 gauge was reading correctly by bumping it against the PCM's reading. It was dead on. PCM has a sensor tied to the harness submerged in the pan, little plastic dealie.
Good to know… I’ve been relying on my iPhone app through ODBII reader to watch trans temps when towing. Eventually I’ll go physical gauge, just curious on how if the data is good. Assuming it’s trusty enough the ecu uses it for trans temp info and what it bases changes on, I guess reliable enough for my monitoring.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still waiting for an appointment to get this thing in to get the intake gasket(s) and distributor addressed.
I've been presented with an opportunity, not sure if I mentioned it previously but a local yard has an 02 GMC 2500HD with an 8.1L, engine ran great from what I was told when it arrived.
$700 if I pull it.
Been debating with my friend on what I oughta do, chances are if it's still there when I get back from vacation I'll probably snatch it if the fun funds allow, but that leaves me with a dilemma.

Rebuild a Gen 6 with a ton of goodies to swap in this truck, or rebuild the 8.1L with some goodies?
I'd have to source an engine harness since it's been cut it for some reason, but that shouldn't be too hard?