Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait, centered fog lights in the bumper, and not just in the valance, are a factory option? Or is that bumper a diesel with someone's mod in them?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait, centered fog lights in the bumper, and not just in the valance, are a factory option? Or is that bumper a diesel with someone's mod in them?
Yep Tahoe Limited or Z71 Tahoe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What he said, I've been on the hunt for these ever since I found out about them when I still had my Suburban. I had a couple brackets made for larger KC 4x6 lights but now that I have these I'm gonna put them aside.

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oddly Brody, the same morning I saw your post I was wanting to do more work on the startup issues that we, apparently, have. I tried initially tried speeding up the decay a smidge. No change. So then I doubled the exponential change to see if maybe it was the right direction. Nope, it got really bad.

So I'd been putting it off cause, well life hits, and I'd just been putting a little pressure on the throttle when starting up to avoid issues. So now I'm going in the other direction and initial use is good. Started with the "stock" curve and just bumped it a little.

I also don't allow STFT to adjust on startup. It won't go into closed loop until 135°f either. So it cranks and runs rich (like a carb with a couple pumps before starting up).

I'll let ya know how it goes.

I'm not familiar with the GM/HPTuner terms, but this is basically what you want. Open-loop until it gets warm, and a lot of enrichment until that point. I tuned a 2.3L Ford motor that I can start down to 20*, with no IAC. It took a LOT more fuel than I thought, compared to a warm idle.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So. Questions.

In all my research of shorty versus long tube, I can't find a clear answer when it comes to the 454s.

But one thing stood clear. Banks was always touted as the best producer of anything for the L29; but unfortunately they've long since discontinued everything aside from the Motorhome equipment which is constructed with extra frame room in mind whereas the truck headers seem to be tighter in terms of underhood/between frame space.

Would it be worth it to try and find a Banks kit? Or at least headers and down pipe? Or would it be better to go with a different LT?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Long tubes make more torque than shorties, just like like longer intake runners do. Shorties get you most of what a long tube does. If you're willing to do an engine back exhaust, go long tube. I intend to keep the stock cats for now so will eventually go shorty with the optional 3" down pipes.