Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good choice on the B&W hitch. Not only was it cheaper than the DrawTite, it is a much better product. Made in Kansas too if that’s your thing.

Post some good info on the AD244. My CS144 needs bearings, and I’m torn between repair or upgrade. I’ve got a 130A AD244, but I’m not sure if worth upgrading from a CS144.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Post some good info on the AD244. My CS144 needs bearings, and I’m torn between repair or upgrade. I’ve got a 130A AD244, but I’m not sure if worth upgrading from a CS144.

I myself upgraded to the AD244. Bought it used off eBay. After leaving the truck sit a few days with the dash cam draining the battery I started it and put a clamp meter on it to measure the current it was putting out at idle.
You must be registered for see images attach

48amps. That's a good wollop at idle. I think I measured 15-20 going to the fuse box to power the rest of the truck.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I myself upgraded to the AD244. Bought it used off eBay. After leaving the truck sit a few days with the dash cam draining the battery I started it and put a clamp meter on it to measure the current it was putting out at idle.
You must be registered for see images attach

48amps. That's a good wollop at idle. I think I measured 15-20 going to the fuse box to power the rest of the truck.

I remember you saying you had upgraded to the AD244 when you were helping me with the 0411; I could probably buy used but for a sense of security I'll shell out for a new one.
What brand is the dash cam by the way? I've been looking at adding one in my truck.

Good choice on the B&W hitch. Not only was it cheaper than the DrawTite, it is a much better product. Made in Kansas too if that’s your thing.

I like that it's made in the USA; plus it's beefy as hell! Can't wait to get it installed;
There's a couple threads on here about upgrading to the AD244, @83GMCK2500 did a thread on 67-72 about it and that's the one I've looked at a couple times for answers, most of what I saw on the thread here was for 350 powered trucks.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=623904
I think it's going to be a worthwhile upgrade; especially if you've got plans for any lights or heavy electrical draw items you're going to install on the truck.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If I were smart, I'd do both trucks. 1500 has an efan and the dually needs it so I can run a heavy gauge cable to the camper to charge it faster.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember you saying you had upgraded to the AD244 when you were helping me with the 0411; I could probably buy used but for a sense of security I'll shell out for a new one.
What brand is the dash cam by the way? I've been looking at adding one in my truck.

It's a blackvue 650gw with two cameras. Tip... make sure you've got a fat battery, and that you get a camera with a low voltage cutout box.

There are a couple-levels up in the blackvue line that are nice, like the 750. And that gets you 1080 front and back. But, if you look at the video when I had my wreck you'll see the video from the front and back.

Also, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. You'll rather install it. Get used to how it works, and just leave it. When I did I found my video clips were starting to be 1min long... which was kind of a pain for making videos for the internets.

Last tip, get good SD cards. Like the Samsung Evo line (orange and red). They're going to get written over constantly and be sitting in the heat. You need some that'll withstand that. 64gb is a good size. I prefer 128.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
B&W hitch update - FAIL!

So a couple things; couple questions, couple complaints.
First complaint. Why can't I have a 4-post lift or at lease a decent creeper to work on ****. Second is why can't I have the access to a welder or any kind of metal working equipment.
Hitch will not fit on the passenger side due to an exhaust hanger being in the way, tried to drill out the hole thinking I could thread both the hitch ear and hanger bracket but no dice. The rubber part of the hanger is too large to let the ear fit. I'll snag a picture here in a little while to show the issue.

Also @JSlezak83, could I see a picture of your hitch mounting? I just need some reassurance on how it's going to fit.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I've done AD244s on all of my trucks, Sierra in particular I can have the efans running on high, HVAC fan on high, all the lights on, even with the trailer hooked up... Never see any dimming, even at idle. And that's with an eBay-special alt I only paid $110 for lol. Well worth the upgrade. Oh and I haven't even done the wiring upgrades on that truck yet!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've done AD244s on all of my trucks, Sierra in particular I can have the efans running on high, HVAC fan on high, all the lights on, even with the trailer hooked up... Never see any dimming, even at idle. And that's with an eBay-special alt I only paid $110 for lol. Well worth the upgrade. Oh and I haven't even done the wiring upgrades on that truck yet!

Ever screw around with the commanded amperage in the tune after an alt swap?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I've never had that option, whatever tables run that stuff are not available for the 0411 on HPTuners. Not only that but I don't have the field control wire hooked up, only the activator, so messing with it wouldn't do anything for me. My 03 Blazer does, but again, the tables to mod it aren't present.