Boosted 454, Procharger or turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1999 K2500 with a 454 and I wanna boost it. The truck will be mostly a street truck with some strip time. I wanna hit at least 1000 whp minimum. Would a turbo or a Procharger work better? Tre performance sells a kit specifically for my truck, or I could go with a turbo but have to fab hot side and cold side. Rev limit will be about 6500-6800

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. But the way I worded it I feel it was misinterpreted as a debate between 2 specific models when I meant in general and had the models as reference. So I reworded it. Also it was posted in a subsection so I wanted to repost it in the general performance to get more convos going. I’m about to sell one of my project cars and so i wanted general input on which one would be better to get for my application.

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did u go with?
I haven’t got anything yet (sadly) I actually just started a sas so that’s taking most my time and money. (Thread in custom suspension) Also I’ve come to the conclusion that I wanna buy my crate motor before the forced induction comes in.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go with a diesel swap. I have a whipple on my 454. It’s fun but really not that impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sure hope your "crate" rods can handle 1000 hp. Just read about some meatballs who at a "race" shop who shall go nameless that but 1200 on stocks z51 rods when even the Z06 uses a beefier rod for 650hp. this particular shop led the customer to believe he was ok.. until the rods were all over ATCo dragway he was...

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go with a diesel swap. I have a whipple on my 454. It’s fun but really not that impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if that's because you have the 1.6 whipple? Probably doesn't run much boost? Tuning would probably make a difference too, if it hasn't been tuned.

Not arguing a diesel swap, I love diesels, but there's no reason a boosted 454 shouldn't be impressive, might just be that a small whipple is unimpressive.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your better off to buy a crate LSX and turbo it if your really after 1000hp, E85 and 20lbs of boost should get you there. We have a car in our shop now (corvette) with LSX with 78mm turbo on E85 running on 20lbs of boost it laid down 863hp to the tires. I don't know how healthy your budget is for making this 1000hp but to have a reliable 1000hp vehicle is going to take at least 15K and that's if your doing most the work yourself.